!!! performing at the Flow Festival in Helsinki, Finland (2007).
|Origin||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Genres||Dance-punk, indie rock, post-punk revival|
|Labels||Warp, Touch and Go, Gold Standard|
|Associated acts||Out Hud, Maserati, Turing Machine, The Juan Maclean, LCD Soundsystem|
|Past members||John Pugh
Justin Van Der Volgen
!!! // is a dance-punk band that formed in Sacramento, California, in 1996. Members of !!! came from other local bands such as The Yah Mos, Black Liquorice and Popesmashers. The band, who are commonly associated with the dance-punk movement, are currently based in New York City, Sacramento, and Portland, Oregon. The band's fifth full-length album, THR!!!ER, was released on April 29 and 30, 2013, in the UK and US, respectively.
Background and history
!!! is an American band formed in the summer of 1995 by the merger of part of the group Black Liquorice and Popesmashers. After a successful joint tour, these two teams decided to mix the disco-funk with more aggressive sounds and integrate the hardcore singer Yah Mos. After a tour together, members of Sacramento bands The Yahmos, Black Liquorice and Popesmashers formed !!!. The band's name was inspired by the subtitles of the movie The Gods Must Be Crazy, in which the clicking sounds of the Bushmens' Khoisan language were represented as "!". However, as the bandmembers themselves say, !!! is pronounced by repeating thrice any monosyllabic sound. Chk Chk Chk is the most common pronunciation.  The URL of their official website and the title of their MySpace page, however, suggests that "Chk Chk Chk" is the preferred pronunciation.
The band's debut full-length record came out in 2000 as a self-titled album on the label Gold Standard Laboratories. This was followed in 2003 by the single "Me and Giuliani Down By the School Yard", a lengthy track combining house beats with sinewy basslines, psychedelic guitars, and simple lyrics which quote the title song of the musical Footloose.
A second full-length, Louden Up Now, was released on Touch and Go in America and on Warp Records in Europe in June 2004. In June 2005, !!! released a new EP covering "Take Ecstasy with Me" by The Magnetic Fields, and "Get Up" by Nate Dogg. The following December, the original drummer for the band, Mikel Gius, was struck and killed by a car while riding his bike. released their third album, Myth Takes in 2007.
!!! is composed of Mario Andreoni (guitar), Dan Gorman (horns/percussion/keys), Nic Offer (vocals), Tyler Pope (bass/various electronic devices), and Allan Wilson (horns/percussion/keys). Touring members include Shannon Funchess (vocals), Sean McGahan (various electronic devices/sound manipulation) and Paul Quattrone (drums). The band also shared membership with the similar, defunct group Out Hud (including Tyler Pope, who has played with LCD Soundsystem and written music for Cake).
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Louden Up Now||
|Strange Weather, Isn't It?||
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- GSL26/LAB SERIES VOL. 2 (Split with Out Hud, 1999, Gold Standard Labs)
- Live Live Live (November 2004, Beat Records, Japan only)
- Take Ecstasy with Me/Get Up (June 7, 2005, Touch and Go Records)
- Yadnus (2007)
- Jamie, My Intentions Are Bass E.P. (November 2010)
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"The Dis-Ease/The Funky Branca"||1998||—||Single-only release|
|"Me and Giuliani Down by the School Yard (A True Story)"||2003||84||Louden Up Now|
|"Pardon My Freedom"||2004||—|
|"Hello? Is This Thing On?"||74|
|"Me and Giuliani Down by the School Yard (A Remix)"||—||Single-only release|
|"Heart of Hearts"||2007||—||Myth Takes|
|"Must Be the Moon"||—|
|"AM/FM"||2010||—||Strange Weather, Isn't It?|
|"One Girl/One Boy"||—|
- !!! (1997, tour cassette)
- Coscarelli, Joseph (July 30, 2007). "!!! (Chk Chk Chk) post-punk puctuation". The Deli Magazine. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- a "As the frontman for the New York by-way-of Sacramento band !!! (pronounced, chk chk chk, or any other percussive onomatopoeia)..." — ¶ 1.
- Seabrook, Andrea (May 17, 2007). "The Musicians of !!!: Making Their Own 'Myths' " (Audio: Flash or MP3). All Things Considered NPR. Retrieved August 26, 2010.
- Minsker, Evan. "The New !!! Album Is Called THR!!!ER". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- "!!! (Chk Chk Chk) on Myspace Music" MySpace.com, 2009. Retrieved 2010-08-26. Archived 12 August 2007 at WebCite
- Michele Finardi (May 30, 2010). "!!!: A luglio a Torino". LoudVision. Retrieved December 30, 2010.
- Orangevale bicyclist killed. Sacramento Bee. December 19, 2005, Page B2. Newsbank. Retrieved 2010-08-25. Archived 26 August 2010 at WebCite
- Diver, Mike (November 16, 2006). "It's no rumour, it's a Myth. Takes eight to make it !!!". News Drowned in Sound. Retrieved 2010-08-26. Archived 12 August 2007 at WebCite
- Howe, Brian. (March 2, 2007). "Album Review – !!! Myth Takes (Warp; 2007)". Pitchfork.com. Retrieved 2010-08-26. Archived 26 August 2010 at WebCite
- Still Disco-Punk, Still Spoiling for a Fight, New York Times, March 18, 2007. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- Maher, Dave; Solarski, Matthew (July 11, 2007). "John Pugh Leaves !!!, Fires Up Free Blood". Pitchforkmedia.com. Archived from the original on May 13, 2008. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- Phillips, Amy (August 6, 2007). Lollapalooza Report: Sunday [Amy Phillips]. Pitchforkmedia.com. Retrieved 2010-08-26. Archived 1 November 2007 at WebCite
- "!!! (Chk Chk Chk) discography". lescharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- "Chart Log UK: Numerals". Zobbel.de. Retrieved December 2, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to !!!.|
- Official website
- !!! discography at MusicBrainz
- Interview for Aural States, Oct 2007
- !!! on NPR's "All Things Considered"
- Interview with Nic Offer, August 2010