ǃKheis Local Municipality
Location in the Northern Cape
|• Type||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Serena Johnson|
|• Total||11,107 km2 (4,288 sq mi)|
|• Density||1.5/km2 (3.9/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||6.9%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||SAST (UTC+2)|
ǃKheis is an administrative area in the ZF Mgcawu District of Northern Cape in South Africa. ǃKheis is a Khoi name meaning "a place where you live, or a home". The municipality is named in recognition of the Khoi people who were the first permanent dwellers of the area.
|Remainder of the municipality||31801||5,518.68||6,274|
The municipal council consists of seven members elected by mixed-member proportional representation. Four councillors are elected by first-past-the-post voting in four wards, while the remaining three are chosen from party lists so that the total number of party representatives is proportional to the number of votes received. In the election of 18 May 2011 the African National Congress (ANC) won a majority of four seats on the council. The following table shows the results of the election.
|African National Congress||3,502||3,535||7,037||57.4||4||0||4|
|Congress of the People||1,454||1,454||2,908||23.7||0||2||2|
|Freedom Front Plus||70||47||117||1.0||0||0||0|
|African Christian Democratic Party||36||44||80||0.7||0||0||0|
- "Contact list: Executive Mayors". Government Communication & Information System. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, age in 5 year groups and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, language and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- South African Languages - Place names
- Lookup Tables - Statistics South Africa
- "Results Summary – All Ballots: ǃKheis". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- "Seat Calculation Detail: ǃKheis". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 24 November 2013.