Bergès-Frisbey in 2013
26 May 1986 |
|Known for||Roles of Suzanne in The Sea Wall and of the mermaid Syrena in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides|
Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey (born 26 May 1986) is a Franco-Spanish actress and model. She is best known for playing Suzanne in The Sea Wall, the mermaid Syrena in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, the fourth film in the series and Sofi in I Origins . She is the recipient of the Prix Suzanne Bianchetti in 2009 and the Trophée Chopard Award for Female Revelation of the Year at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival.
Life and career
Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey was born in Barcelona, Spain, to a Spanish father and a French-American mother. Her family moved to Paris, France, when she was five years old. She is the eldest among three daughters. She is fluent in French, Catalan, and Spanish, and in 2011 she also learned to speak English.
She made her acting debut in 2007 on French television and has since appeared in films alongside Isabelle Huppert, Vincent Perez, and Daniel Auteuil. In 2008, she made her feature début in the film The Sea Wall. She began modelling in 2010, fronting French Connection's spring/summer and autumn/winter campaigns.
Personally picked by director Rob Marshall and producer Jerry Bruckheimer, she made her English language debut in 2011 in the highly anticipated sequel Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. She landed the role of the mermaid Syrena, after a whirlwind of auditions in France, Hollywood, and the UK. She had to learn to speak English for the role. During filming in Hawaii, she was restricted from going out in daylight in order to keep her skin pale.
She also starred in the Spanish film El sexo de los ángeles with Llorenç González and Álvaro Cervantes. The film was shot in Barcelona. She also played the titular role in the coming-of-age French film Juliette. After that, she starred in her second English-speaking feature film in I Origins as Sofi. The film also starred Michael Pitt and Brit Marling, and was directed by Mike Cahill.
She learned to speak Italian for the movie Alaska, with Claudio Cupellini helming the project. She also auditioned for the role of Guinevere in Knights Of The Roundtable: King Arthur which is going to be directed by Guy Ritchie. The film also stars Charlie Hunnam and Idris Elba.
She currently serves as a brand ambassador for Chanel.
|2007||Sur le fil||Marie Sertissian||TV series; 3 episodes|
|2007||Divine Émilie||Marquise de Boufflers||TV film|
|2008||Elles et moi||Young Isabel||TV mini-series|
|2008||The Sea Wall||Suzanne||also known as Un barrage contre le Pacifique|
|2009||La première étoile||Juliette|
|2009||La reine morte||The infanta||TV film|
|2010||Bruc. El desafío||Gloria|
|2011||La fille du puisatier||Patricia Amoretti||also known as The Well Digger's Daughter|
|2011||Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides||Syrena|
|2012||El sexo de los ángeles||Carla||English-language title Sex of Angels|
|2016||Knights Of The Roundtable: King Arthur||Guinevere |
- Bergès-Frisbey, Àstrid. "Interview: Astrid Berges-Frisbey – Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides". Retrieved 9 June 2014.
I have two nationalities and I speak both languages.
- Rull, Carles (30 June 2010). "Cuatro españoles en 'Piratas del Caribe 4". 20 minutos (in Spanish). Retrieved 23 July 2011.
- Singer, Leigh (17 May 2011). "Pirates of the Caribbean: Astrid Berges-Frisbey Interview". IGN. Retrieved 23 July 2011.
- Green, Emily (20 March 2011). "French Newcomer Dives Into the Fourth 'Pirates' Film". Daily Mail. Retrieved 23 July 2011.
- Pierce, Lisa (26 May 2010). "French Connection model to appear in Pirates of the Caribbean". PRWeb. Retrieved 23 July 2011.
- "Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey Picked for Pirates of the Caribbean". Comingsoon.net. 15 April 2010. Retrieved 23 July 2011.
- Reynolds, Simon (8 February 2011). "On Set: 'Pirates 4' – Astrid Berges-Frisbey". Digital Spy. Retrieved 23 July 2011.
- Barker, Lynn (16 May 2011). ""Pirates" Mermaid Astrid Berges-Frisbey". Kidzworld.com. Retrieved 23 July 2011.
- "Berges-Frisbey for King Arthur tale". Belfast Telegraph. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Astrid Bergès-Frisbey.|