ESSEC Business School
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (October 2013)|
|ESSEC Business School|
|École Supérieure des Sciences Économiques et Commerciales|
|Motto||La réponse est en vous|
|Motto in English||You have the answer|
|Religious affiliation||Catholic Church|
|Location||Cergy, France (also in La Défense, and Singapore)|
|Former names||Institut Économique|
|Athletics||12 Varsity teams
ESSEC (École Supérieure des Sciences Économiques et Commerciales) is one of the foremost business schools and Grandes Écoles in France and one of Europe’s top business schools. It was created by Jesuits in 1907 and was originally located in the heart of Paris. Its campus was later relocated to Cergy-Pontoise, 30 km west of Paris (Val d'Oise), in 1973.
As well as other top French Grandes Écoles, ESSEC is known for its very competitive entrance exams. The school, reputed for its international orientation, has partnerships with the best universities all over the world, such as Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Northwestern University, University of California, Berkeley, University of Chicago, Hong Kong University of Science & Technology, Seoul National University, and University of Peking. In addition, a campus was established in Singapore in 2006.
ESSEC will build a new campus in Singapore, to be located in an area regrouping universities, incubators and high-tech companies. The construction phase will begin in February 2013 during the International Advisory Board meeting to be held in Singapore and will finish in December 2014.
- 1 Institution
- 2 Programs
- 2.1 Master of Science in Management
- 2.2 Bachelor in Business Administration
- 2.3 ESSEC M.S. Advanced Masters
- 2.4 MBA in Hospitality Management (IMHI)
- 2.5 MBA in International Luxury Brand Management
- 2.6 Global MBA
- 2.7 PhD in Business Administration
- 2.8 ESSEC Executive Education
- 3 International Orientation
- 4 Campuses
- 5 Student Societies
- 6 Notable alumni
- 7 Notes
- 8 External links
ESSEC Programs Overview
- MSc in Management
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- M.S. (Advanced Masters)
- Global MBA
- MBA in Hospitality Management (IMHI)
- MBA in International Luxury Brand Management
- Executive MBA
- PhD in Business Administration
- International Accreditations
– In 2003, ESSEC also received accreditation for all its programs from EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System);
- National Accreditation
– ESSEC is accredited by the French Ministry of Education.
- ESSEC MSc in Management ("Grande École"):
The “Top 70 Masters in Management Programs” annual ranking published on September 17, 2012, by the Financial Times ranked ESSEC Business School’s Master in Management 5th in its overall global ranking.(http://www.essec.edu/news-press/detail-press/article/financial-times-global-masters-in-management-ranking-2012.html). ESSEC Business School has also been ranked 7th in the International MBA Ranking by The Wall Street Journal in 2007.
In France, ESSEC Business School was ranked 1st for recognition by companies and 2nd for academic excellence by L'Etudiant in 2012 and 2011. ESSEC is usually ranked 2nd in other national rankings (by Le Nouvel Economiste in 2010 and 2009, by Le Figaro in 2011, 2010 and 2009. ESSEC has consistently been ranked 2nd (after HEC Paris and before ESCP Europe) by SIGEM, which is the automated procedure to enter admission preferences of French students after exam.
- In 2012, Advanced Master in Financial Techniques has ranked 2nd worldwide within the 2012 "World Top 35 Global Masters in Finance" ranking issued by the Financial Times.
- Bachelor in Business Administration (BBA): generally ranked 1st among the 4-year curriculum post-baccalauréat French Business Schools.
- Executive Education: ranked 7th in the world by the Financial Times in 2012 for open programs (http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/executive-education-open-2012), ranked 8th in the world by the Financial Times in 2011 and 10th in 2010, 1st in France and 4th in Europe for open enrolment programs.
- Advanced Master in Strategy and Management of International Business: ranked 1st for seven consecutive years in France in addition of being ranked 5th in the Financial Times 2009 Masters in Management ranking.
- Advanced Master in Logistics and Supply Chain Management: ranked 2nd in 2011  and generally among the 3 best master in France.
Master of Science in Management
ESSEC's postgraduate programme is its Master of Science in Management, designed for students with no professional experience (instead of managers with 3–5 years of experience like US or UK MBA programs). The diploma is only delivered upon completion of a required amount of time spent in internships.
The ESSEC MSc in Management is designed for candidates under 32 years of age who have completed French preparatory classes or have a university degree.
Applicants are eligible for entry into the second year of the program if they hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent, of which at least three years were completed outside of France.
Bachelor in Business Administration
The undergraduate program was created in 1975 by ESSEC Group to prepare students to meet the needs of French firms launching operations on the international market.
The Bachelor in Business Administration offers a program designed for high-achieving undergraduates who plan to pursue an international career. The BBA is the world standard in the field. The ESSEC BBA is the first post-secondary program in France to obtain the prestigious AACSB and Equis accreditations.
Thanks to its network of international partners and its alliances with key academic players, the BBA ESSEC offers its students the best international opportunities. At the end of the program, each student will have completed a minimum of 12 months of coursework abroad, and between 11 and 18 months of professional experience, which may also take place abroad.
The program ranks as one of the leading French undergraduate business programs for many years.
ESSEC M.S. Advanced Masters
The Advanced Master’s degrees are accredited by the “Conférence des Grandes Ecoles” in France. These programs are short, intensive, professional, and specialized to allow students finishing their studies or young professionals to complete their initial training (usually scientific or engineering) by acquiring complementary expertise fully recognized in the market. To follow these programs, students must speak French fluently. Some of them are now entirely taught in English. One of ESSEC's advanced masters, the M.S. Strategy and Management of International Business was ranked 5th in the Financial Times 2009 Masters in Management ranking in addition of being ranked 1st for seven consecutive years in France. List of ESSEC M.S. Advanced Masters Programs:
- Strategy and Management of International Business
- Marketing Management
- Financial Techniques
- Logistics and Supply chain Management
- International Supply Management
- International Business Law and Management
- International Food Industry Management
- Urban, Environmental and Services Management
- Technological Project Management, in partnership with TELECOM PARIS
- Entrepreneurship, in partnership with Ecole Centrale Paris
- Information Systems and Telecommunication Networks
Admission to ESSEC Advanced Masters programs
Students applying for the "ESSEC M.S. Advanced Masters" Programs can choose to take either Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or the French equivalent Tage Mage in addition to specific language examinations such as TOEFL or IELTS for English and TEF for French.
MBA in Hospitality Management (IMHI)
The "Institut de Management Hotelier International"'s MBA in International Hospitality Management, originally a joint-degree between ESSEC and Cornell (although it is now only operated by ESSEC), prepares future managers:
– to work in functional specialties or senior operational positions of leading international hospitality management organizations such as hotel chains, restaurant chains, contract food services, theme parks, recreational complexes, and allied travel and service companies.
– to reach the higher levels of management in independently owned hotels, resort developments, consulting activities (project development, market research, quality assurance, asset valuation), retirement communities, product sales (equipment, food, hardware and software), and family and entrepreneurial businesses.
It is one of the most recognized Hospitality Management programs in the world.
MBA in International Luxury Brand Management
Since its foundation in 1995, the MBA specialized in Luxury Brand Management has become a global reference in graduate education in the luxury industry. Thanks to partnerships with leading brands and institutions, the ESSEC MBA Luxe trains a new breed of managers at the heart of the ever-changing luxury sector.
The Global MBA at ESSEC Business School is a 12 month, full-time MBA program with an emphasis on emerging markets and experiential learning. Students spend a term on ESSEC's Singapore campus, participate in a field trip to an emerging market, and culminate their degree program with the International Immersion Project, a month-long consulting project sponsored by a company that takes place in an emerging market. One-on-one career services, personal development, mentorship, and regular exposure to and interaction with ESSEC alumni and other members of the business community enhance the experience for high-potential individuals. Graduates of the program have gone into various management and consulting roles, many now working outside of their country of origin. The Global MBA truly prepares post-experience students for an international career.
PhD in Business Administration
The PhD trains future professors, researchers and consultants at the highest international level. The goal is to prepare students not only to master methodologies, but also to advance knowledge and play an active role in the international academic community. Before starting their dissertation work, students must follow a two-year program of courses and seminars that ends with Preliminary Examinations and a Dissertation Proposal. The curriculum starts with an intensive period of interdisciplinary training common to all students. This is followed by rigorous research training for the chosen field of specialization.
ESSEC Executive Education
More than 5000 managers participate in ESSEC Exec Ed programs every year, primarily at La Défense campus, located in the heart of Paris’ financial district, but also at ESSEC’s Singapore campus and at ESSEC’s partner institutions – located on all continents - throughout the world.
ESSEC & Mannheim Executive MBA
ESSEC and Mannheim Business School launched their common Executive MBA Program in 2004. Building on the excellent reputation as one of the first established Executive MBAs in Europe by ESSEC since 1994 several tracks are proposed: "Week-end", either in Paris (in English and French) or in Mannheim (in English) or "Modular" with modules in Mannheim, Paris and various other locations worldwide. EQUIS and AACSB accredited program.
Graduates have access to the alumni organisation of both schools.
Executive Master in Strategy & Management of International Business
Professionals working or wishing to work internationally in the following fields: commercial (business engineer, import/export manager, etc.), financial (financial engineer, business analyst, etc.), marketing (international product manager, marketing manager, research manager, etc.), consulting (risk-management consulting, international development consulting, etc.), management (office manager, foreign subsidiary manager, project manager, etc.).
Advanced Management Programs et General Management Programs
Advanced Management Programs:
- The Business of Luxury 
- Global Media Strategies in the New World Economy 
General Management Program:
- Energy & Commodity Markets (ECOM)
- Hospitality Management
Executive workshops in Singapore: Addressing a wide range of topical and intriguing issues, the series is designed on a modular structure that allows the combination of separate workshops in a consistent path to fit specific needs of the individual. A certification may be obtained after the successful completion of three different modules. 
International Aspects of The Community
30% of ESSEC professors come from outside of France. The ESSEC community of 5,200 students includes about 1,200 foreign students, representing over 70 nationalities.
Moreover, several student clubs unite people from same countries to promote their culture at ESSEC. Such clubs include "ESSEC India", "ESSEC Liban" (Lebanon), "ESSEC Chine" (China), and many more.
Clubs such as "Melt" or "World Wide Welcome" promote interaction between people from different countries, by organizing welcome parties for incoming international students, and various social events along that line.
ESSEC's campus in Singapore
In 2006, ESSEC set up a campus in Singapore. For MBA students, this program lasts 6 months and focuses on Asian business issues in the areas of finance, marketing and business strategy. The campus is located on the 9th and 13th floors of the National Library. Decision has been made in 2011 to build a new campus in Singapore by 2014, the Group willing to expand further in Asia.
- Cergy-Pontoise (Val d'Oise, 28 km west of Paris), France: ESSEC's main campus
- La Défense (Hauts-de-Seine, 3 km west of Paris), France: a campus for students of Specialized and Executive MBAs
- ESSEC Singapore Campus, Singapore: set up in 2006
There are more than 100 student clubs at ESSEC—sports-related, entrepreneurial, humanitarian, and cultural. They include:
- AVE: AVE is the video ESSEC association. Their main purpose is to film life on campus, to edit 50 minute long video news report with the main events of the last 3 months and to broadcast it in front of all the students. Those compromising videos are often dreaded by most student.
- Les Mardis de l'ESSEC: The first and foremost student forum in France. Since 1961, the society organizes discussions with leading public figures from the political, cultural, economical and civil spheres. Participants have included current (and former) heads-of-state and ministers, as well as foremost intellectual leaders, and major businessmen and women;
- Junior ESSEC Conseil: France's leading student consulting association. It provides companies with market studies, internal auditing, communication strategies evaluations, and more. Its revenue stands at €1,5 million/year, through about 250 missions per year;
- ESSEC Transaction: the finance club of ESSEC Business School. The organization promotes finance related activities and careers throughout the students community (corporate conferences, day of careers in finance, trading game and formations to Bloomberg and Reuters...). It also has an investment club, which aims at managing an equity portfolio.
- RACE: Founded in 1991, RACE (Racing Automobile Club Essec) organizes, among other major events, the biggest student go-karts trophy in Europe, the "24 heures Karting Essec";
- Reve FM: The school's student-run radio that produces various podcasts (talk-show, music, soccer, political, cinema, etc.) and records each year a 24-hour long crazy broadcast;
- Shamrock : The school's musical association that organizes concerts, and each year a musical festival in Paris ;
- PAO Bang : A professional student-run graphic design agency that creates logos, posters and webdesign for other clubs and external businesses;
- ESSEClive: ESSEC's community website, the first student website in France (by number of visits);
- Melt: Melt is a student association that aims to bring together international students (more than 900) and ESSEC students in order to encourage and develop intercultural relations on campus. It organizes various activities for international students throughout the year;
- Foyer des élèves (Foy's): Founded in 1973, the Foy's is a student-run pub located at the Cergy-Pontoise campus. It serves ESSEC students from noon to midnight, offering fresh sandwiches for lunch and a wide variety of drinks all day long. In addition to every day operations, the "Foy's" also organizes many themed parties.
- EDI (ESSEC Développement International): Founded in 1996, this humanitarian association carries out various development projects in Latin America: microcredit, scholarships, renovation of ancient paths,...
- ESSEC India: Association that helps you discover India through cultural and professional activities at ESSEC;
- Net Impact ESSEC: The ESSEC Chapter of the San Francisco based Net Impact. This Chapter instills responsible leadership skills among its members through on and off campus activities, often under the mentorship of senior members and alumni;
With a current network of more than 37,000 alumni, ESSEC is one of the most influential business institution in France. Among former students, many have reached top positions in the business world,-including in Fortune 500 companies-, and in politics.
The following list is non exhaustive
- "Global MBA 1 Year Full-time English". USeoul.edu Website. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- The Wall Street Journal http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/MB_07_Scoreboard.pdf
|url=missing title (help).
- http://www.prepa-hec.org/classement/ecole- commerce/nouvel-economiste/2009/nouvel-eco-drh-2009)
- - ESSEC ranked 2nd in France
- Vgl. efmd.org.
- Vgl. aacsb.edu.
- ESSEC Business School
- Global MBA
- Master of Science in Management
- ESSEC & Mannheim Executive MBA website
- MBA in Hospitality Management (IMHI)
- MBA in International Luxury Brand Management
- PhD in Business Administration
- Bachelor in Business Administration (ESSEC BBA Program)
- ESSEC M.S. Advanced Masters
- esseclive: ESSEC Students website