Hotels built within caves in Ürgüp
Location of Ürgüp within Turkey.
|• Governor||Recep Soytürk|
|• Mayor||Fahri Yıldız (AKP)|
|• District||562.85 km2 (217.32 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,043 m (3,422 ft)|
|• District density||62/km2 (160/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Ürgüp (Greek: Προκόπιο / Prokópio or Cappadocian Greek: Προκόπι / Prokópi, Ottoman Turkish: Burgut Kalesi) is a town and district of Nevşehir Province in the Central Anatolia region of Turkey. Located in the historical region of Cappadocia, and near the cave Churches of Göreme, it is renowned for its nightlife and for its good adjustment to tourism, making it a popular night stop for Cappadocia tourists. According to 2010 census, the population of the district is 34,372 of which 18,631 live in the town of Ürgüp. The district covers an area of 563 km2 (217 sq mi), and the town lies at an average elevation of 1,043 m (3,422 ft).
Twin towns – Sister cities
Ürgüp is twinned with:
- Churches of Göreme, Turkey
- Kaymaklı Underground City
- Derinkuyu Underground City
- Underground cities in Avanos
- Thermal Tourism in Kozaklı
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- Statistical Institute
- GeoHive. "Statistical information on Turkey's administrative units". Retrieved 2008-04-18.
- Statoids. "Statistical information on districts of Turkey". Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- "Twinnings" (PDF). Central Union of Municipalities & Communities of Greece. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc. "Geographical information on Ürgüp, Turkey". Retrieved 2008-04-18.
- Governorship of Ürgüp, Turkey. "Geography and history of Ürgüp, Nevşehir" (in Turkish). Retrieved 2008-04-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ürgüp.|
- District governor's official website (Turkish)
- District municipality's official website (Turkish)
- Map of Ürgüp district
- St George and the dragon
- Administrative map of Ürgüp district
|This geographical article about a location in Nevşehir Province, Turkey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|