Location of the Municipality of Ölfus
|Time zone||GMT (UTC+0)|
The town name is named after Þorlákur Helgi who was bishop at Skálholt. Its main importance is as a port as it has the only viable harbour on Iceland's southern coastline between Grindavík in the west and Höfn in the east, and it serves as the departure point for ferries to the Vestmannaeyjar archipelago. Services include a restaurant, golf course, motocross field, sport complex and swimming pool.
In 2008, a children's sport festival was held in town with over 2000 people in attendance.
Notable people from Þorlákshöfn
- Benedikt Magnússon. Strongman and powerlifter,
- Jón Guðni Fjóluson. Footballer,
- Jónas Ingimundarson. Pianist,
- Jónas Sigurðsson. (Jónas Sig) musician
- Gísli G. Jónsson. Off-road driver.
- Júlí Heiðar Halldórsson. (Júlí Heiðar) musician.
- Political division
- Mainly statistical division