Köybaşı playing for Turkey in 2010
|Date of birth||July 10, 1989|
|Place of birth||İskenderun, Hatay, Turkey|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Left wingback|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21 December 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Early life and club career
Born to a family from İskenderun, Köybaşı had begun to play football for İskenderunspor, a local club. Köybaşı started out as an attacking midfielder, but move to left back after recommendations from his colleagues. He briefly played for another local club, İskenderun Kartalspor, before joining Gaziantepspor in 2006.
Köybaşı began his professional career in the youth divisions of Gaziantepspor. On 6 May 2008, he signed his first professional contract. He featured in 24 matches with 21 starts during the 2008–09 season. At the end of the season, he was linked with the big four clubs of Turkey, choosing Beşiktaş in the end.
Köybaşı joined Beşiktaş in June 2009 for a fee of €6.5 million, as well as an exchange of two Beşiktaş players. He began playing with the team during pre-season friendlies, and made his competitive debut in a Super Cup match against Fenerbahçe on 2 August 2009. In November 2009, he provided the assist to Rodrigo Tello's goal in a 1–0 victory at Old Trafford against Manchester Utd in the Champions League. It was the first time since February 2005, spanning 23 games, that United had lost a group stage Champions League fixture at home. He scored his first league goal against Ankaragücü in December 2009.
In September 2011, He provided two assists against Bursaspor, one from the free kick when Tomáš Sivok scored with his head in the 87th minute and the second with a cross to Filip Hološko who also scored with his head in the 90th minute securing the victory of 2-1 in an away game.
Köybaşı has featured for Turkey at U-21's level, where he has gained five caps. Köybaşı was called up to senior national team by Fatih Terim for a friendly match against Ukraine on 12 August 2009. He won his first cap, replacing Arda Turan in the 86th minute.
As of 21 December 2014.
- İSMAİL KÖYBAŞI tff.org (Turkish), accessed 28 August 2010
- "10 numara sol bek: İsmail Köybaşı" (in Turkish). tff.org.tr. 2009-01-05. Retrieved 2009-02-07.
- "İsmail Köybaşı paylaşılamıyor!" (in Turkish). milliyet.com.tr. 2009-05-21. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Beşiktaş İsmail Köybaşı'nı transfer etti" (in Turkish). goal.com.tr. 2009-06-24. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Beşiktaş İsmail Köybaşı'yla Anlaştı." (in Turkish). spor.haberler.com. 2008-08-16. Retrieved 2008-10-05.
- "Beşiktaş:0 – Fenerbahçe:2" (in Turkish). bjk.com.tr. 2009-02-08. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- Kupanin sahibi Fenerbahce oldu&KategoriID=14 "Süper Kupa'nın sahibi Fenerbahçe oldu!" (in Turkish). miliyet.com.tr. 2009-02-09. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- "Man Utd 0–1 Besiktas". BBC Sport. 2009-11-25. Retrieved 2009-11-25.
- "İsmail Köybaşı İlk Kez A Milli Takım’da" (in Turkish). bjk.com.tr. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- "Millî Takım'da Önder ve İsmail sürprizi" (in Turkish). zaman.com.tr. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- "Squad announced for Ukraine friendly". Turkish Football Federation.
- "Ukraine 0–3 Turkey". Turkish Football Federation. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- TFF Profile (Turkish)
- İsmail Köybaşı – UEFA competition record
- Köybaşı interview on Tam Saha, TFF official magazine (Turkish)