||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008)|
|Birth name||İzel Çeliköz|
|Also known as||İzel|
|Born||April 29, 1969|
|Associated acts||Ercan Saatçi (1990-1994)|
İzel Çeliköz (born April 29, 1969 in Yalova) commonly known as İzel, is a famous Turkish pop singer. She was originally part of the Turkish pop trio İzel-Çelik-Ercan but after the group broke up in 1993, she decided to release solo albums. She is one of the most successful Turkish singers of the 1990s and 2000s.
İzel Çeliköz was born in Yalova, Turkey. She graduated from the İ.T.Ü. Devlet Konservatuarı in which she had mastered the kemençe, a type of violin. She also was part of her school choir as well as several other choirs in the city. In 1989 she participated once Turkish eliminations of Eorovision Song Contest as part of Neco's vokal group with the song "Fora Fora" (Laterly it was placed in "Hayallerimi Bırak", Neco's 1989 album). In 1990 she participated in the Turkish heats for the Eurovision Song Contest with the song "Selam yabancı" which was placed last. Her first official release was a collaboration with Reyhan Karaca (Then Reyhan Soykarcı) and Can Ugurluer for the 1991 Eurovision Song Contest on the song İki Dakika. The song was placed twelfth in Rome. Later that year, she formed a band with Ercan Saatçi and Çelik Erişçi called İzel-Çelik-Ercan and released an album titled Özledim. She was also member of Grup Vitamin during Bol Vitamin, whose debut album in 1990 and made vocal songs of "Bol Vitamin", "Bir Derste" and "Özgün Müzik". She supported "Şifa Niyetine" and "Ebabil Bir Kuştur" albums, made by Uf-Er (Ufuk Yıldırım and Ercan Saatçi) successively in 1992 and in 1994. She released "İşte Yeniden" album with Ercan Saatçi as "İzel-Ercan" after Çelik Erişçi's departure in 1992.
In 1993, İzel won first place in the Kuşadası Altın Güvercin Müzik Yarışması. After deciding to start releasing solo albums, İzel released her solo debut album titled Adak. This album was produced by Aykut Gürel and former band member Ercan Saatçi. The first music video for this album was the song Hasretim and became one of the top songs of the year. The credits of the album included upcoming Turkish singers Bendeniz, Eda-Metin Özülkü, Kenan Doğulu, Seden Gürel and Yıldız Tilbe. During this time, İzel gave many concerts throughout Turkey.
In 1997, İzel released her second solo album titled Emanet which featured Mustafa Sandal on the opening track as well as listing him as a producer. She originally wanted the album to be produced by Ercan Saatçi and Aykut Gürel, but could not convince them to work together.
In 1999, İzel released her third album Bir Küçük Aşk. In this album, she worked with young composer Altan Çetin. All of the songs were written by Altan Çetin. The album closely sold 500.000 copies and created a successful career for her.
In 2001, her fourth album Bebek was released. It was the second time that she was working with Altan Çetin. All of the songs were written by Altan Çetin. For the album, İzel tried arabesque music in some songs.
In 2003, İzel released her fifth album Şak. She got some dance lessons in Germany for preparation of the album.
In 2005, İzel released her sixth album Bir Dilek Tut Benim İçin. While she was working for Emel Müftüoğlu's album, she met Sezen Aksu and her present arranger Sinan Akçıl. She vocalized three Sezen Aksu songs in her own album. Also, Sinan Akçıl produced the album.
Now, İzel is working on her new album. She is planning to release it in 2009.
Up to now, her all albums have sold more than 2 million copies.
- Adak (Sacrifice) (1995)
- Emanet (On Hold) (1997)
- Bir Küçük Aşk (A Small Love) (1999)
- Bebek (Baby) (2001)
- Şak (Shock) (2003)
- Bir Dilek Tut Benim İçin (Make A Wish For Me)(2005)
- Işıklı Yol (Road With Lights) (2007)
- İzel 2009 (2009)
Albums with Grup Vitamin
- Bol Vitamin (1990)
Albums with İzel-Çelik-Ercan
- Özledim (I Missed) (1991)
Albums with İzel-Ercan
- İşte Yeniden (1992)
- Bir Sevgi Yeter (2000)
- O Şarkılar (2004)
- Devamı Var (2007)
- Söz Müzik Teoman (2008)
- Yıldızlar Da Kayar (2008)
- Uzay Heparı Sonsuza (2008)
In December 2008, she had an operation for her acne. She has had a prolonged bout of acne, which she recently explained was a physiological response to her learning about being deceived by her partner.
In April 2009, she had a second operation and said that she would have a skin like a baby's.
- "Aranjörlere suçlama". Milliyet (in Turkish). October 11, 1997. Retrieved January 7, 2009.
- "Artık ağlamak yok". Hürriyet (in Turkish). June 14, 1999. Retrieved March 29, 2009.
- "Yemedim içmedim yaz kasedi çıkarttım". Hürriyet (in Turkish). August 12, 1999. Retrieved March 29, 2009.
- "İzel'in kendi daha bebek". Radikal (in Turkish). July 8, 2001. Retrieved March 29, 2009.
- "Aşk işimi unutturuyor". Güneş (in Turkish). June 19, 2003. Retrieved March 29, 2009.
- "Mutlu aşk kalmadı". Michael Show (in Turkish). August 18, 2005. Retrieved March 29, 2009.
- "İzel albümünü bedevaya getirdi". Akşam (in Turkish). June 6, 2007. Retrieved March 29, 2009.[dead link]
- "İzel ABD'ye neden gidiyor". Superonline (in Turkish). February 19, 2009. Retrieved March 29, 2009.
- "İzel Berlin'i ısıttı". Akşam (in Turkish). January 29, 2003. Retrieved March 29, 2009.[dead link]
- "15 yıllık sırrını açıkladı". Vatan (in Turkish). December 9, 2008. Retrieved December 11, 2008.
- "Cildim bebek gibi". Hürriyet (in Turkish). April 17, 2009. Retrieved April 10, 2009.
|Awards and achievements|
with "Gözlerinin Hapsindeyim"
|Turkey in the Eurovision Song Contest
with "Yaz Bitti"