University of Łódź
|University of Lodz|
|Latin: Universitas Lodziensis|
|Motto||Veritas et libertas
(Truth and freedom)
|Established||May 24, 1945|
|Rector||Prof. dr hab. Włodzimierz Nykiel, Ph.D.|
|Affiliations||Campus Europae,SOCRATES/ERASMUS , TEMPUS, INCO-COPERNICUS, ACE, Jean Monnet,CEEPUS, EUA, AESOP|
|Website||(Polish), (English), (Chinese), (Russian), (Ukrainian)|
The University of Łódź was founded May 24, 1945 in Łódź, Poland, as a continuation of educational institutions functioning in Łódź in the interwar period — the Teacher Training Institute (1921–1928), the Higher School of Social and Economic Sciences (1924–1928) and a division of the Free Polish University (1928–1939).
The University of Łódź (alternative spelling: University of Lodz) is a fully accredited, state-owned, traditional university. It is one of 18 institutions of its type in Poland.
It has more than 47,000 students and 2,600 teachers.
Its international cooperation includes 385 partner institutions from all over the world.
As a result of widespread cooperation with universities all over the world, including Université Jean Moulin Lyon 3, Université François – Rabelais (Tours), University of Texas at Austin, Westfälische Wilhelms – Universität Münster, University of Baltimore, the R. H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, Centria University of Applied Sciences (Kokkola, Finland), and the Towson University, students of the University of Łódź can graduate with dual diplomas.
The University of Łódź strives to maintain its high academics standards, the most recent testimonies of which include:
- 3rd place among Polish universities for the quality of instruction in Economic Sciences, as shown in the 2011 ranking by the Gazeta Bankowa (a respected Polish finance & banking newspaper)
- 2nd place among Polish universities for qualifying future lawyers, such as legal counsels, and civil law notaries, as shown in the 2010 ranking by the Polish Ministry of Justice
- 4th place among Polish higher education institutions of international prestige, as concluded from the outcomes of QS and Webometrics rankings of 2010
The library of the University of Łódź is one of the biggest and most modern academic libraries in Central Europe.
Its total collection amounts to 3 million volumes. The main part of the book collection is in library store-rooms. The remaining books and journals are placed in the reference sections: the Main Reading Room and Study Rooms. Registered users can use self checkout machines for lending and returning books in some collections. Apart from the Main University Library there are 106 branch libraries and their collections are adjusted to the scientific and didactic activities of the institutions. The number of registered library card holders is now over 20,000.
- President of the University of Łódź (Rector) - Professor Włodzimierz Nykiel Ph.D.
- Pro-Rector in Charge of Economic Affairs – Professor Bogdan Gregor Ph.D.
- Pro-Rector in Charge of International Affairs – Professor Zofia Wysokińska Ph.D.
- Pro-Rector in Charge of Curricula and Teaching – Professor Jarosław Płuciennik Ph.D.
- Pro-Rector in Charge of Research – Professor Antoni Różalski Ph.D.
- Pro-Rector in Charge of Students’ Affairs – Professor Zbigniew Góral Ph.D.
- Tadeusz Kotarbiński – 1945-1949
- Józef Chałasiński – 1949-1952
- Jan Szczepański – 1952-1956
- Adam Szpunar – 1956-1962
- Stefan Hrabec – 1962-1965
- Józef Stanisław Piątowski – 1965-1968
- Andrzej Nadolski – 1968-1969
- Zdzisław Skwarczyński – 1969-1972
- Janusz Górski – 1972-1975
- Romuald Skowroński – 1975-1981
- Jerzy Wróblewski – 1981-1984
- Leszek Wojtczak – 1984-1990
- Michał Seweryński – 1990-1996
- Stanisław Liszewski – 1996-2002
- Wiesław Puś – 2002-2008
- Włodzimierz Nykiel - 2008-
- Biology and Environmental Protection
- Economics and Sociology
- Philosophy and History
- Physics and Applied Informatics
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Geographical Sciences
- Educational Sciences
- Law and Administration
- International and Political Studies
- Andrzej Sapkowski, a fantasy writer.
- Marek Belka, a professor of Economics, a former Prime Minister and current head of National Bank of Poland.
- Krzysztof Kwiatkowski, a politician, Minister of Justice of Poland.
- Paweł Rogaliński, a journalist, publisher and a blogger.
- Jerzy Kropiwnicki, a right-wing politician.
- Cezary Grabarczyk, a politician, former Minister of Infrastructure.
- Jacek Saryusz-Wolski, a diplomat, politician and a MEP: member of the European Parliament (elected on 13 June 2004).
- Tatiana Okupnik, a singer, composer and songwriter.
- Joanna Skrzydlewska, a politician and a member of the European Parliament.
- John Onyekwere Godson, the first black Polish Member of Parliament.
- Jolanta Chełmińska, a politician.
- Janusz Wojciechowski, a politician and a member of the European Parliament.
- Jacek Zacharewicz, a politician.
- Aleksandra Ziolkowska-Boehm, a writer, author of many books.
- Keith White-Hunt, senior international executive in academic, business and government sectors.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Keith_White-Hunt
- The School of Polish for Foreigners - first school of Polish for foreigners in Poland, since 1952
- Branch in Tomaszów Mazowiecki
- http://www.nauka.gov.pl/higher-education/choose-polish-university/universities/ List of Polish universities at the Ministry of Science and Education portal
- http://iso.uni.lodz.pl/academic-agreements List of partner institutions worldwide
- http://iso.uni.lodz.pl/study-in-english Study programmes in English
- http://www.uni.lodz.pl/promocja/dziejesie,artykul,1936 Ranking of Polish Universities: Economic Sciences
- http://ms.gov.pl/pl/informacje/news,3794,omowienie-wynikow-egzaminow-wstepnych-na.html Ranking of Polish Universities: Law
- http://www.perspektywy.pl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3853&Itemid=832 Ranking of Polish Universities: international prestige
- http://www.lib.uni.lodz.pl/indexenglish.html The Library of the UL website (English)
- http://iso.uni.lodz.pl/ About University of Łódź