Official promotional poster
|Directed by||Tim Wheeler|
|Produced by||Tim Lynch|
|Starring||Billie Joe Armstrong
|Edited by||Tim Wheeler|
|Distributed by||Reprise Records|
|September 24, 2013|
¡Cuatro! is a 2013 rockumentary starring the punk rock band Green Day, directed by Tim Wheeler. The film documents the creation of the band's 2012 album trilogy ¡Uno!, ¡Dos! and ¡Tré!. The documentary, directed by Tim Wheeler and produced by Tim Lynch (who had previously produced Green Day's Bullet in a Bible in 2005), was released through Reprise Records on the September 24, 2013. A 40 minute version of the documentary premiered on VH1 in 2012. The documentary contains footage of Green Day's producer Rob Cavallo and Green Day's days composing and organizing the trilogy up until their release. ¡Cuatro! was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Music Film.
¡Cuatro! contains footage of Green Day in the studio composing, organizing, practicing and discussing the albums, as well as speaking on their approach to recording an album trilogy. The documentary also contains live footage of Green Day performing their new songs at small club shows across the United States in 2011 and 2012.
When Green Day entered the studio to record the trilogy, multiple clips were posted on the band's YouTube channel of them creating the albums. Mike Dirnt, bassist of Green Day said that "Over the last year while we were recording our trilogy, we posted multiple clips every week so fans can see parts of the recording process of ¡Uno! ¡Dos! ¡Tré!. ¡Quatro! brings our fans one step closer by giving them even more access and revealing what it was like for us to make these records." Lead guitarist and vocalist of Green Day, Billie Joe Armstrong told Billboard that their aim for ¡Cuatro! as a documentary was "not going to be the sitting down, head shot of me going, 'We started out blah blah blah'. "We wanted to get into lifestyles of rock 'n' roll and playing rock 'n' roll and letting the story kind of tell itself rather than create revisionist (history)." Green Day drummer Tré Cool told BBC Breakfast that the purpose of the documentary was to show fans what it's like to make a record by giving them an inside look at the process, saying that "People ask what is it like to make a record. It's like someone asking what a sausage tastes like, you can describe it - or you can just hand someone a sausage."
Release and reception
A documentary about the making of ¡Uno! ¡Dos! ¡Tré! was announced July 9, 2012, ¡Cuatro!, which at the time was titled ¡Quatro!, was later confirmed on November 21, 2012. A 40 minute version of the documentary premiered a week after on VH1 on November 28, 2012, and subsequently aired on MTV2 and Palladia. The full documentary made its debut showing at the Winter X Games XVII in January 2013, and was later screened again at SXSW in March 2013. ¡Cuatro! was originally released exclusively to ¡Uno!, ¡Dos!, ¡Tre! box set purchasers on April 8, 2013 and was later released bundled with ¡Tre! on August 26, 2013. The documentary was released by itself on DVD and digitally on September 24, 2013.
¡Cuatro! received generally positive reviews upon release. Crackle gave the film a score 4 out of 5. The film has received a user score of 8.4/10 on IMDb. ¡Cuatro! was also nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Music Film.
|Australia (ARIA Music DVDs)||26|
- Gallo, Phil (March 17, 2013). "Green Day and the Creative Process: Story of Two Films, 'Broadway Idiot' and '¡Cuatro!'". Billboard. Accessed January 2014.
- "Green Day announce plans for '¡Quatro!' release". NME. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "iTunes - Movies - ¡Cuatro! - Apple". Apple. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "Green Day: Bullet in a Bible". IMDb. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "56th Annual GRAMMY Awards Nominees". Grammy. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "American Vidiots: Green Day Announce 'Quatro' Documentary". Spin (magazine). Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "Exclusive: Green Day Documentaries Coming with Album Trilogy". Billboard (magazine). Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "Green Day on BBC Breakfast - 08/23/2012". BBC. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "PRESS RELEASE". GreenDay.com. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "Green Day Documentary to Premiere at X Games". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "SXSW 2013: Green Day Launch 'Broadway Idiot' and 'Cuatro!' Documentaries". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "Green Day's trilogy documentary, ¡Cuatro!, is out today for box set purchasers". Green Day Authority. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "Green Day's 'Cuatro' Rock Doc Gets Release Date". Fuse TV. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "Green Day: Cuatro". Crackle. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "¡Cuatro! (2012)". IMDb. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "ARIA Music DVDs Chart 18/11/2013". ARIA Charts. Retrieved Dec 12, 2013.