The region where Águas Belas is located was originally inhabited by the Tupiniquim, who were expelled by the Carajó tribe. The first Europeans arrived around 1700. Until 1904, Águas Belas was a district of Buíque.
The name "Águas Belas" (Portuguese for "Beautiful Waters") originated from the commentary of a judge who was visiting the city and was impressed by the excellent quality of the water in the town.
- State - Pernambuco
- Region - Agreste Pernambucano
- Boundaries - Buíque and Pedra (N); Alagoas state (S); Iati (E); Itaíba (W)
- Area - 885.98 km2
- Elevation - 336 m
- Hidrography - Ipanema River
- Vegetation - Caatinga Hiperxerófila
- Clima - semi arid hot
- Annual average temperature - 24.5 c
- Distance to Recife - 315 km
The main economic activities in Águas Belas are based in industry, commerce and agribusiness especially plantations of beans, corn and manioc; and creations of cattle, goats, sheeps, horses, pigs and chickens.
|Population||GDP x(1000 R$).||GDP pc (R$)||PE|
Economy by Sector 2006
|Primary sector||Secondary sector||Service sector|
|HDI (2000)||Hospitals (2007)||Hospitals beds (2007)||Children's Mortality every 1000 (2005)|
- http://www.ibge.gov.br/home/estatistica/populacao/estimativa2009/POP2009_DOU.pdf IBGE Population 2009 Águas Belas, page 31]
- Águas Belas 2007 GDP IBGE page 29
- PE State site - City by city profile
|This Pernambuco, Brazil location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|