Álvaro Domínguez Soto
Domínguez in action for Atlético Madrid in 2009
|Full name||Álvaro Domínguez Soto|
|Date of birth||16 May 1989|
|Place of birth||Madrid, Spain|
|Height||1.89 m (6 ft 2 1⁄2 in)|
|2007–2009||Atlético Madrid B||44||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 00:00, 17 March 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Álvaro Domínguez Soto (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈalβaɾo ðoˈmiŋɡeθ ˈsoto]; born 16 May 1989) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Borussia Mönchengladbach in Germany. Mainly a central defender, he can also play as a left back.
After an unassuming youth spell at Real Madrid, Domínguez finished his football formation at neighbouring Atlético Madrid, joining its ranks at the age of 12. He made his first-team debut on 22 October 2008, starting at home against Liverpool in the UEFA Champions League (1–1 group stage draw), but spent most of his first professional season with the B side, in Segunda División B.
On 16 November 2009 Domínguez signed his first professional contract with the Colchoneros, running until June 2013. During that timeframe he became an undisputed starter for the club, in a season where it reached the finals of the domestic cup and the UEFA Europa League, winning the second.
Domínguez was again a regular for Atlético in the 2010–11 season, playing the full 90 minutes in the team's UEFA Super Cup 2–0 win against Inter Milan, as left-back. On 19 December 2010 he scored his first senior goal for the club, in a 3–0 La Liga win at Málaga CF.
On 27 June 2012 Domínguez was transferred to German club Borussia Mönchengladbach, signing a five-year contract. He finished his first season with 40 appearances all competitions comprised as his team finished eighth in the Bundesliga, including seven in the Europa League and one in the Champions League.
In the opening match of the following season, against Bayern Munich, Domínguez handled the ball to concede a penalty, which was saved. He then handled the ball again from the rebound, giving away a second penalty, which was converted as Bayern went on to win 3–1.
Solid performances at Atlético led to Domínguez's first call-up to the Spanish U20's, for the 2009 FIFA World Cup. In 2011, he was selected by under-21 team manager Luis Milla to the squad that competed in that year's UEFA European Championship, and started in all the games as the national side won the tournament in Denmark, partnering Sporting de Gijón's Alberto Botía in central defense.
On 25 August 2011 Domínguez was selected for the first time to the full team by coach Vicente del Bosque, for games against Chile and Liechtenstein. He finally made his debut on 26 May of the following year, playing 45 minutes in a 2–0 friendly win with Serbia in St. Gallen.
- Atlético Madrid
- Spain U21
- As of 18 May 2013
- "Defender Domínguez dazzles for Atlético". UEFA.com. 15 May 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Simao nets leveller". ESPN Soccernet. 22 October 2008. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Alvaro Dominguez delighted with new Atletico Madrid contract". Goal.com. 16 November 2009. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Tiago puts paid to Malaga". ESPN Soccernet. 19 December 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Gladbach holt Spanien-Star" [Gladbach gets Spanish star]. Bild (in German). 27 June 2012. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Alvaro Dominguez joins Gladbach to replace Dante". Footballcracy. 27 June 2012. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "FC Bayern Munich beat Borussia Moenchengladbach 3-1 in Bundesliga opener". NDTV Sports. Associated Press. 10 August 2013. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- Álvaro Domínguez Soto – FIFA competition record
- "Domínguez, Montoya y Botía, novedades de la lista de Del Bosque" [Domínguez, Montoya and Botía, new on Del Bosque's list] (in Spanish). Marca. 25 August 2011. Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- "Adrián está listo para la Eurocopa" [Adrián is ready for the Euro] (in Spanish). Marca. 26 May 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- "Álvaro Domínguez". Soccerway. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- Includes Copa del Rey and Supercopa de España
- Includes UEFA Champions League, UEFA Cup, UEFA Intertoto Cup, UEFA Supercup
- "Small talk: Alvaro Dominguez". The Guardian. 12 May 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- BDFutbol profile
- National team data
- Álvaro Domínguez at fussballdaten.de (German)
- Álvaro Domínguez at National-Football-Teams.com
- Álvaro Domínguez – FIFA competition record