Vázquez in action for Catalonia in 2013
|Full name||Álvaro Vázquez García|
|Date of birth||27 April 1991|
|Place of birth||Barcelona, Spain|
|Height||1.82 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|Current club||Swansea City
(on loan from Getafe)
|2013–||→ Swansea City (loan)||11||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 11 January 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Barcelona, Catalonia, Vázquez spent most of his life in Badalona. He joined RCD Espanyol's youth system in 2005 at the age of 14 and, four years later he made his senior debuts, appearing with the reserves in Segunda División B and suffering team relegation.
Álvaro made his first-team – and La Liga – debut on 21 September 2010, coming on as a substitute for Sergio García midway through the second half of a 0–3 away loss against Real Madrid. Only five days later, he scored the game's only goal in a home fixture against CA Osasuna, and remained with the main squad for the rest of the season, mainly acting as backup to Pablo Osvaldo.
After Osvaldo departed for A.S. Roma in the summer of 2011, Vázquez was made starter by manager Mauricio Pochettino. In January 2012, over only four days, he scored four goals in two games: first, he equalized through a header in the last minutes of the local derby against FC Barcelona (1–1 home draw), then added a hat-trick against Córdoba CF for the season's Copa del Rey (4–2 home win, 5–4 on aggregate).
After spending the 2012–13 campaign with fellow top-divisioner Getafe CF, Vázquez became coach Michael Laudrup's eighth Spanish signing for his Swansea City team on 2 September 2013, with the loan move being subject to international clearance. He made his Premier League debut on the 22nd in a 2–0 victory at Crystal Palace, setting up Nathan Dyer for the second goal.
Vázquez represented Spain at the 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Colombia. He finished the competition with five goals (second-best, but with as many goals as the winner, Brazil's Henrique) as the national team reached the quarterfinals.
Also in 2011, Álvaro made his debut for the under-21s. He helped the nation win the 2013 UEFA European Football Championship by scoring in his only appearance, the 3–0 group stage win against the Netherlands.
- Spain U21
- El test de Irene: Bartra-Álvaro Vázquez (Irene's test: Bartra-Álvaro Vázquez); YouTube, 15 November 2011 (Spanish)
- Madrid cruise to win; ESPN Soccernet, 21 September 2010
- Espanyol enjoy home comforts; ESPN Soccernet, 26 September 2010
- Barcelona pegged back by rivals; ESPN Soccernet, 8 January 2012
- Álvaro se toma la Copa del Califa (Álvaro drinks Califh's Cup); Marca, 11 January 2012 (Spanish)
- Álvaro Vázquez refuerza la delantera del Getafe (Álvaro Vázquez bolsters Getafe offense); Sport, 31 August 2012 (Spanish)
- Swansea City sign Alvaro Vazquez subject to clearance; BBC Sport, 2 September 2013
- Michael Laudrup believes Alvaro Vazquez completes Swans' squad; BBC Sport, 4 September 2013
- Álvaro Vázquez, 'Bota de plata' del mundial Sub-20 (Álvaro Vázquez, U-20 World Cup 'Silver boot'); Marca, 21 August 2011 (Spanish)
- Spain beat Netherlands to top Group B; UEFA.com, 12 June 2013
- Getafe official profile
- BDFutbol profile
- Futbolme profile (Spanish)
- Álvaro Vázquez career stats at Soccerbase
- Álvaro Vázquez – FIFA competition record