Henríquez in 2012
|Full name||Ángelo José Henríquez Iturra|
|Date of birth||13 April 1994|
|Place of birth||Santiago, Chile|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
(on loan from Manchester United)
|2007–2011||Universidad de Chile|
|2011–2012||Universidad de Chile||17||(11)|
|2013||→ Wigan Athletic (loan)||4||(1)|
|2013–||→ Zaragoza (loan)||15||(5)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 24 December 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Ángelo José Henríquez Iturra (pronounced: [ˈaŋxelo enˈrikes]; born 13 April 1994) is a Chilean footballer who plays as a forward for Spanish club Real Zaragoza, on loan from English club Manchester United.
Henríquez began his football career at Universidad de Chile aged 13 in 2007, taking up the sport after he had stopped playing tennis, the sport that he played until the age of 12. Two years later, in 2009, Manchester United and Universidad de Chile signed an agreement to purchase the rights of Henríquez, for €4m, which can be paid until 2014.
Universidad de Chile
On 27 June 2011, Henríquez professionally started for the club in a Copa Chile match that Universidad de Chile beat Unión San Felipe 1–0 with a goal scored by Francisco Castro in the 80th minute. He failed to play in all the second semester, but was part of team directed by Jorge Sampaoli that was champion of Clausura Tournament and the Copa Sudamericana.
After the departure of Gustavo Canales to Chinese Super League club Dalian Aerbin, the club desperately tried to sign a striker, nonetheless, Jorge Sampaolí trusted the talented Henríquez to replace Canales in the starting line-up for the 2012 season, despite the interest of other clubs that wanted him on loan. On 22 February, he scored on his international debut in the Copa Libertadores in a 5–1 win over Godoy Cruz of Mendoza, in where Henríquez scored the last goal of the victory in the 90th minute. On 28 February, he incremented his goal tally scoring twice in a 4–1 win over Cobreloa, being this his first goals for tournaments of the Chilean Primera División.
On 21 August 2012, Manchester United announced that Henríquez had been granted a governing body endorsement which would allow him to register and play for the club. His signing was confirmed on 5 September, and it was revealed that he would wear squad number 21. Henríquez made his debut for United as he featured for the under-21 side and scored the final goal in a 4–2 win over Newcastle United. After spending a year on loan to Wigan, Henríquez returned to Manchester United ahead of the 2013–14 season. In the final match of the club's 2013 pre-season tour against Swedish club AIK, he scored a 68th-minute goal to save a draw for United.
Wigan Athletic loan
On 2 January 2013, Henríquez joined Wigan Athletic on loan until the end of the 2012–13 season. It was confirmed he could wear the number 11 shirt. He made his debut in English football as a half-time substitute in an FA Cup third-round game against Bournemouth on 5 January in a 1–1 draw. His Premier League debut came on 19 January as a second half substitute against Sunderland and he scored his first goal in the process by netting Wigan's second in a 3–2 home loss. He won his first major trophy on 11 May 2013, as an unused substitute in the 1–0 FA Cup Final win against favourites Manchester City.
Real Zaragoza loan
Henríquez has consistently participated in the youth national football teams in Chile, the 2009 South American Under-15 in Bolivia, where he scored two goals against Paraguay, and the 2011 South American Under-17 in Ecuador, where he scored against Colombia, Brazil and Venezuela.
- Scores and results list Chile's goal tally first.
|1.||14 November 2012||AFG Arena, St. Gallen, Switzerland||Serbia||1–3||1–3||Friendly|
|2.||14 August 2013||Brøndby Stadium, Brøndby, Denmark||Iraq||6–0||6–0||Friendly|
- As of 24 December 2013
|Club||Season||League||Cup||League Cup||Continental||Other[nb 1]||Total|
|Universidad de Chile||2011||0||0||1||0||–||0||0||–||1||0|
|Wigan Athletic (loan)||2012–13||4||1||4||0||–||–||–||8||1|
|Chile national team|
Statistics accurate as of match played 16 November 2013
- Universidad de Chile
- Wigan Athletic
- Includes other competitive competitions, including the FA Community Shield.
- "Á. Henríquez". Soccerway. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- Premier League profile
- Ángelo Henríquez, cadete de la U: La historia del niño de los cuatro millones de euros
- La "U" debutó con un triunfo en la Copa Chile 2011
- "U. Chile ganó 1–0 a U. San Felipe y S. Morning 2–1 a Palestino ambos como visita en la Copa Chile.". Radioagricultura.cl (in Spanish) (Radio Agricultura). 27 June 2011.
- "Angelo Henríquez calificó como "soñado" su estreno goleador con la U". Cooperativa.cl. 22 February 2012.
- "U. de Chile goleó a Cobreloa en el Santa Laura y se subió al liderato". Cooperativa.cl. 28 February 2012.
- Marshall, Adam (21 August 2012). "Henriquez to join Reds". ManUtd.com (Manchester United). Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "Henriquez becomes a Red". ManUtd.com (Manchester United). 5 September 2012. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- Marshall, Adam (28 September 2012). "United U21 4 Newcastle U21 2". ManUtd.com (Manchester United). Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- Marshall, Adam (6 August 2013). "Report: AIK 1 United 1". ManUtd.com (Manchester United). Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "Angelo Henriquez joins Wigan on loan from Manchester United". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 2 January 2013. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- Jones, Ed (2 January 2013). "HENRIQUEZ MOVE CONFIRMED". WiganLatics.co.uk (Wigan Athletic Football Club). Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- "Wigan 1–1 Bournemouth". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 5 January 2013. Retrieved 5 January 2013.
- "Wigan 2–3 Sunderland". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 19 January 2013. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- Marshall, Adam (28 August 2013). "Henriquez joins Zaragoza". ManUtd.com (Manchester United). Retrieved 28 August 2013.
- Bolivia 2009 Sudamericano Sub 15
- Sub 17: Igualaron Chile y Colombia
- Chile no pudo aguantar ventaja inicial y cae ante Brasil en el Sudamericano Sub 17
- Marcador Virtual: Chile vs. Venezuela
- Soccerway profile