|Founder(s)||Fernando De Fuentes
José Carlos García De Letona
Fernando Pérez Gavilán
Guillermo Cañedo White
|Headquarters||Mexico City, Mexico|
Ánima Estudios is a Mexican animation studio founded in 2002 by Fernando De Fuentes, José Carlos García De Letona, Fernando Pérez Gavilán, Guillermo Cañedo White and Federico Unda. It produces animated content distributed mainly in Mexico and Latin America. It is best known for El Chavo Animado and Top Cat: The Movie.
Ánima Estudios was founded in 2002.
In 2006, Ánima Estudios produced a new TV series, El Chavo Animado, based on the popular live-action series of the same name. It premiered on Canal 5 in Mexico on October 21, 2006. It later premiered in the United States on Univision on January 24, 2008 with highly successful ratings.
On February 13, 2009, the studio released its third film, El Agente 00-P2, an action comedy film that references the popular James Bond movies. It stars the voices of Jaime Camil, Dulce María and Silvia Pinal. The studio later released Kung Fu Magoo, an action comedy film based on the popular cartoon character, Mr. Magoo. Kung Fu Magoo was released direct-to-video in the United States on May 11, 2010. It later has its television premiere on Disney XD.
On January 22, 2010, the studio released their fifth animated film, AAA – Sin Límite en el Tiempo, which is the fictional take on the famous Mexican lucha libre professional wrestling promotion team, Asistencia Asesoría y Administración.
On December 7, 2009, the company made an international agreement with Argentina's Illusion Studios and Toonz India Ltd to co-produce the computer animated film, Gaturro, which is based on the popular comic book series of the same name and was released on September 10, 2010 in Argentina in 3D. It was the first Indian-Latin American co-production and it opened #1 at the Argentinian box office, earning $1,818,510 pesos ($460,098 USD).
On September 16, 2011, the studio released its seventh animated film, Top Cat: The Movie, a.k.a. Don Gato y su Pandilla in Mexico, distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. It is based on the short-lived Hanna Barbera cartoon, Top Cat, which ran in the 60s in the United States, where, in Latin America, is extremely popular. The film became a huge box office success in Mexico, and became one of the biggest box office openings for a Mexican production. It was later released in the United Kingdom, distributed by Vertigo Films in English-language format and also was released in 3D. On August 2, 2013, the film has a limited theatrical release in the United States through Viva Pictures, with actors, Rob Schneider and Danny Trejo replacing Jason Harris Katz as Lou Strickland and Griswald, respectively.
In 2012, the company have celebrated its 10th anniversary. The studio created a new film label, Átomo Films, aiming for teens and adults and has released the film, El Santos vs. La Tetona Mendoza, on November 30. It is a film adaption of the popular Mexican comic book series, created by José Ignacio Solórzano, and it stars an ensemble voice cast of famous Mexican actors, such as Daniel Giménez Cacho, José María Yazpik, Héctor Jiménez, and filmmaker Guillermo del Toro.
On September 28, 2011, the company has announced an international partnership with Australia's SLR Productions, Home Plate Entertainment, and Ireland's Telegael to create a new animated series, called Teenage Fairytale Dropouts. The show was loosely based on the studio's first film, Magos y Gigantes and premiered on December 31, 2012 on Seven Network in Australia.
On December 1, 2012, Variety has reported that the studio is seeking international productions towards Europe and the United States. It has also been reported that the studio has announced that a Top Cat sequel is in development. On June 12, 2013, Variety reported that a sequel to Llorona, titled La Leyenda de los Momias, are currently in production.
On November 7, 2013, it has been reported that the company's first CGI film as a lead producer, Save Oz!, is currently in production and is expected to be completed around January or February 2014. The film is the studio's biggest production to date and is also their first English-language production. It is produced with India's Discreet Arts and international rights will be handled by FilmSharks.
|1||Magos y Gigantes
(Wizards and Giants)
|November 19, 2003|
|2||Imaginum||August 19, 2005|
|3||El Agente 00-P2
(Agent Macaw: Shaken and Stirred)
|February 13, 2009|
|4||AAA – Sin Límite en el Tiempo
(AAA: The Movie)
|January 22, 2010|
|5||Gaturro: La Pelicula
(Gaturro: The Movie)
|September 10, 2010|
|6||Don Gato y su Pandilla
(Top Cat: The Movie)
|September 16, 2011|
|7||La Leyenda de la Llorona||September 21, 2011|
|8||El Santos vs. La Tetona Mendoza||November 30, 2012|
|La Leyenda de las Momias||2014|||
Films in development
|Top Cat sequel|||
|Ana y Bruno|||
|1||A Martian Christmas||November 19, 2008|
|2||Trepsi, Nuny y Wicho - Los Amigos de Trepsi||2009|
|3||Kung Fu Magoo||May 11, 2010|
|4||Trepsi, Nuny y Wicho - Arriba y Abajo||2012|
|#||Title||Premiere date||End date||Network|
|1||El Chavo Animado||October 21, 2006||present||Canal 5
|2||Teenage Fairytale Dropouts||December 31, 2012||present||Seven Network
|#||Title||Premiere date||End date||Network|
|3||Estación Espacial: Poncho Balón||2005||2006||Canal 5|
- "México se anima con Magos y Gigantes". 17 November 2003. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- "Ánima Estudios hace Imaginum". 14 October 2005. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- "Imaginum de Ánima Estudios conquista más de 100 países". 08 April 2010. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- El Chavo Bows Big | Animation Magazine
- LÓPEZ AGUIRRE, SERGIO (23 February 2009). "Jaime Camil es el Agente 00-P2". Cine Premiere. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- Kung Fu Magoo emerges on DVD | Cartoon Brew
- AAA Sin límite en el tiempo | Cine PREMIERE
- “AAA: SIN LÍMITE EN EL TIEMPO” - Cinelatino.com
- "Ánima Estudios e Illusion Studios darán vida a Gaturro | Revista Merca 2.0". 08 December 2009. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- "Indiantelevision.com > Kidology > Toonz Animation, Illusion Studios to produce 'Gaturro' for $6 mn". 20 May 2009. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- "“Gaturro” salta al 3D de la mano de Ánima Estudios e Illusion Studios - LatAmcinema.com". 07 December 2009. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- "Toonz Animation’s Gaturro tops box office in Argentina - Businessofcinema.com". 28 September 2010. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- "“Gaturro” atrapa el primer puesto en la taquilla argentina | 365cine". 13 September 2010. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Hecht, John (2011-09-20). "Mexican Animated Film 'Top Cat' Breaks Record at Box Office". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2012-06-09.
- Hoad, Phil (2011-10-11). "Don Gato – aka Top Cat – rides the crest of a Mexican wave | Film | guardian.co.uk". London: Guardian. Retrieved 2012-06-09.
- ‘Top Cat: The Movie’: Viva Takes U.S. Rights (EXCLUSIVE) | Variety
- ROB SCHNEIDER AND DANNY TREJO LENDING THEIR VOICES FOR TOP CAT: THE MOVIE | Alien Bee Entertainment News
- LA LLORONA SE 'ANIMA' | TOPCINEMA
- http://www.anmtvla.com/2010/11/anima-estudios-nos-traera-la-leyenda-de.html Anima Estudios nos traerá La Leyenda de la Llorona]
- Gutiérre, Vicente (9 September 2012). "Ánima Estudios, 10 años de éxitos, tropiezos y cine | El Economista". El Economista. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- Aguilar, Ninotchka (28 July 2012). "ANIMA ESTUDIOS SE EXPANDE CREA ATOMO FILMS | Prensaescenario". Worldpress. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- "Las voces de El Santos Vs. La Tetona Mendoza". November 18, 2012. Retrieved 12 November 2013.
- Zahed, Ramin (28 September 2011). "‘Teenage Fairytale Dropouts’ Gets Happy Ending | Animation Magazine". Animation Magazine. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- Twitter image of Teenage Fairytale Dropouts (see the description)
- Young, James (1 December 2012). "Mexican animator adds English - Entertainment News, Animation, Media - Variety". Variety. Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- Anima Puts ‘Momias’ into Pre-prod (EXCLUSIVE) | Variety
- "Invertirá Latin Idea Ventures 170 mdd en Ánima Estudios". Diario Rotativo. 17 October 2013. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- AFM: Film Sharks Toons Up Anima’s Feature ‘Save Oz’ (EXCLUSIVE) | Variety
- Pantelion Nabs U.S. Rights to ‘Man of Stone’ | VARIETY
- TEENAGE FAIRYTALE DROPOUTS
- Anima Estudios to Co-Pro Vodka's 'Bugsted'