Astor Piazzolla International Airport
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012)|
|Astor Piazzolla International Airport
Aeropuerto Internacional de Mar del Plata "Ástor Piazzolla"
|Airport type||Public / Military|
|Owner/Operator||Aeropuertos Argentina 2000|
|Serves||Mar del Plata, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina|
|Location||AU 2, Km 398,5 (B7612)|
|Elevation AMSL||71 ft / 22 m|
Ástor Piazzolla International Airport (Spanish: Aeropuerto Internacional de Mar del Plata "Ástor Piazzolla") (IATA: MDQ, ICAO: SAZM) is located 7 km (4.3 mi) north of the center of Mar del Plata, a city in the Buenos Aires Province of Argentina. The airport covers an area of 436 hectares (1077 acres) and is operated by Aeropuertos Argentina 2000 S.A.
Also known as Mar del Plata Airport, it provides domestic flights on Austral Líneas Aéreas, Sol Líneas Aéreas, and Líneas Aéreas del Estado (LADE).Aerolíneas Argentinas used to fly to this airport, their services are now performed by Austral Airlines.
The existing terminal building was constructed in 1978 for the FIFA World Cup. In 1994, due to the Pan American Games, the terminal was expanded. On 20 October 1998, Aeropuertos Argentina 2000 took over the airport.
The airport was named after Brigadier General Bartolomé de la Colina until 20 August 2008. President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner changed the name of the airport to Ástor Piazzolla, a musician who was born in Mar del Plata.
Airlines and destinations
|Passengers||Change from previous year||Aircraft operations||Change from previous year||Cargo
|Change from previous year|
|Source: Airports Council International. World Airport Traffic Statistics
- (Spanish) Aeropuertos Argentina 2000, official web site.
- (Spanish) Aeropuerto Internacional de Mar del Plata "Brigadier Bartolomé de la Colina" at Organismo Regulador del Sistema Nacional de Aeropuertos (ORSNA)
- Airport information for SAZM at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for MDQ at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- (Spanish) El aeropuerto de Mar del Plata fue rebautizado como "Ástor Piazzolla", Article in Argentinian newspaper "La Prensa", retrieved 25 September 2008.
|This article about an airport in Argentina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|