École centrale de Nantes
|École Centrale de Nantes|
|Motto||Accelerating your energies|
|Type||Public, Graduate engineering|
|Affiliations||Centrale Graduate School, France AEROTECH|
École Centrale de Nantes is one of the Centrale Graduate Schools associated as the Groupe Centrale network with its sister institutions (Paris, Lille, Lyon, Marseille and Beijing). A member of the TIME (Top Industrial Managers for Europe) network, that enables student exchanges among leading European engineering schools, it is also a founder of the France AEROTECH association of French engineering schools.
- 1 Location
- 2 History
- 3 Academics
- 3.1 Admission
- 3.2 Curriculum
- 3.2.1 Engineering Trainee Programs
- 3.2.2 Master’s Programs
- 3.2.3 PhD
- 4 National and international partnerships
- 5 Research
- 6 Notable Alumni and Faculties
- 7 Life on campus
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The Ecole Centrale de Nantes is located in Nantes, France (in a region called Pays-de-la-Loire). Nantes is only two hours by train from Paris. Nantes is the sixth largest city in France, and is also located on the riverside of the Loire and only 50 km away from the Atlantic coast.
The Ecole Centrale Nantes was founded in 1919. Being first called Institut Polytechnique de l'Ouest, the school's courses were various: electricity, mechanics, chemistry and smelting works. In 1977, the school moved and took place in actual premises. In 1991, it became the Ecole Centrale de Nantes and since, belongs to the Centrale Graduate School. As a Centrale Graduate School, it implements a similar Centralien programme of engineering education as in École centrale de Lille, École centrale de Lyon, École centrale de Marseille, École centrale Paris and Ecole Centrale de Pekin. In 2011, the school became a member of France AEROTECH.
There are lots of ways to become a student of The Ecole Centrale de Nantes. For foreign students, there are three different curricula (An Engineer Degree, a Master's Degree or a PhD). But the way to enter Ecole Centrale de Nantes is quite similar for these three. The admission depends on each university partner of Ecole Centrale de Nantes. But generally, you can build a case and then have interviews with professors from the Centrale Graduate School. All these steps are made to decide if your level is high enough to follow the courses at Ecole Centrale de Nantes'.
French students must succeed in a nationwide selective exam with numerus claususis called Concours Centrale-Supelec. In the French superior educational system, after the Baccalaureat (the equivalent of A-levels) students have two options: Either go to a faculty and make a specialization that gives them a License degree in 3 years and a Master degree in 5 years of study; Or they try to enter a Classe préparatoire and then try to get into a French Grandes écoles. The Concours Centrale-Supelec is one way to do so.
Engineering Trainee Programs
Education at Ecole Centrale de Nantes is multidisciplinary and lasts from three to four years. During the first two years, students take mandatory classes in science (Mathematics, Physics); in engineering (Solid and Fluid Mechanics, Heat transfer, Digital image processing, Computer programming, electronics...) and in social sciences (Economics, Marketing, Management, foreign languages,...). Students are then offered to sign up for different engineering specialties during their last year at the school. During these 3 years, every student has to validate a minimum 4 months stay abroad, by a semester in a foreign partner university or by an abroad internship. Every student of the engineering trainee program receives the degree of “ingénieur de l'École centrale de Nantes”, more commonly called “ingénieur centralien”. It’s equivalent to a European engineering master degree.
More information on this page
The Ecole Centrale de Nantes offers scholarships to students with excellent academic records.
Master Erasmus Mundus
Erasmus Mundus is a program which aims at improving the quality of the European Higher Education and at strengthening the intercultural understanding. Ecole Centrale de Nantes is certified Erasmus Mundus for 3 programs of Master's degree:
- Master EMARO - European Master in Advanced Robotics
- Master EMSHIP Advanced Design
- Master Computational Mechanics
The Erasmus Mundus program encourages and supports student’s international mobility and the cooperation between European and no European universities. The objectives are to promote the European higher education as a brilliant academic platform. It also contributes to the sustainable development, developing countries' higher education and to allows students to reach the best careers' perspectives.
Master of Science in Applied Mechanics
- Computational Structural Mechanics
- Design of Systems and Products
- Metallic and Composites Complex Assemblies
- Energetics and Propulsion
- Hydrodynamics and Ocean Engineering
Master of Science in Civil Engineering
Master of Science in Control Engineering and Production Systems
Master of Sciences and Techniques in Urban Environment
All fields of investigation are related to the science of engineering, i.e. automatic control, robotics, telecommunication, oceanic engineering,or even civil engineering.
Centrale Nantes is strongly implicated in the two doctoral schools.
- Centrale Nantes runs Doctoral School of Science engineering, geosciences and architecture
- University of Nantes runs The Doctoral School of Science and Technology of Information and Materials
The two schools are accredited in both the establishments. The scientific production each year, on average, leads to 30 to 35 doctorate theses.
National and international partnerships
The Ecole Centrale de Nantes collaborates with numerous industrial and educational partners within France as well as in an international scope.
Ecole Centrale de Nantes is a public amenity and is thus a subject to the French ministry of higher education and research. The Ministry is responsible for the distribution of the allocated state funds and is thus an important partner of Ecole Centrale de Nantes .
The five other grandes ecoles Ecole Centrale Paris, Ecole Centrale de Lyon, Ecole Centrale de Lille, Ecole Centrale de Marseille and Ecole Centrale de Pekin and Ecole Centrale de Nantes have joined together and have formed the Centrale Graduate School alliance. Being a member of that alliance,Ecole Centrale de Nantes offers the possibility to its students to enrich their education by attending courses of one of the 5 other members during an exchange.
Besides the members of the Central Graduate School alliance,Ecole Centrale de Nantes has numerous additional French educational partners, which are listed in the following:
- École des mines de Nantes
- Ecole Nationale Supérieure d'Architecture de Nantes in French
- Ecole Navale
- Ecole Supérieure d'Agriculture d'Angers
In collaboration with Audencia and the Ecole Nationale Supérieure d'Architecture,Ecole Centrale de Nantes provides the possibility to take part in two double degree programs. On the one hand a combination of a diploma in engineering and a diploma in management and on the other hand a diploma in engineering and a diploma in architecture.
One of the strengths of Ecole Centrale de Nantes is its international spirit which is not only physically present on the campus (30% of the students are foreign students) but also mentally: All engineering students attend courses in two foreign languages and a stay abroad for at least 6 weeks is foreseen in every student’s formation.
In addition, Ecole Centrale de Nantes is member of the TIME network allowing its students to take part in a double degree program at one of the TIME partner universities which are scattered all over Europe. About 35% of the students at Ecole Centrale de Nantes decide each year to enter in the TIME program.
Furthermore, Ecole Centrale de Nantes maintains individual partnerships with universities all over the world. The great variety of offers for the stay abroad enables the student to prepare best for an international work environment according to his or her preferences. The internationality together with the gained scientific skills completes the profile of a highly educated graduate of Ecole Centrale de Nantes. See all partner universities
Ecole Centrale de Nantes works closely together with its industrial partners and thus ensures an on the current needs of the industries oriented scientific environment. Moreover, its network in the industry facilitates the search for an internship and acts as a door opener for the student.
Some industrial partners of Ecole Centrale de Nantes shall be listed in the following:
And even more.
Ecole Centrale de Nantes is also strongly implicated in internationals programs such as WILLpower, which stands for Window India Learning Link Power. The program's aim is to promote an international network with European universities and Indian Universities.
Research at Ecole Centrale Nantes is carried out in highly competitive laboratories. Theses labs are internationally recognized, as collaborate with a lot of firms.
Ecole Centrale de Nantes hosts 4 laboratories, recognized as CNRS laboratories:
Robotics, Image, Signal et Automatics, Mechanical and Productive Systems, Electronic Systems, Telecom and Radar
Hydrodynamics and Ocean Engineering, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Dynamics of Inhabited Atmosphere, Internal Combustion Engines
Metallic and Composites Assemblies, Computational Mechanics, Polymers, Dynamics and Processing Technology
Non linear PDE, Probability statistic..
Ecole Centrale de Nantes has also launched the Chaire Fondation EADS Centrale Nantes on September 9, 19th, a highly skilled research center: Advanced Modeling of Composites Manufacturing Processes
Notable Alumni and Faculties
Ecole Centrale de Nantes alumni are effective persons in their professional career as a result of good quality of education and research in the University. Most of them spread all around the world and became Faculty and Researcher of the prestigious universities. Also some of them have shined in Industry, Art and Culture as well as Politician. Some Noted Alumni and Faculties are as,
Science and technology
- Jaques Lamirault, professor of civil engineering, Ecole Centrale de Nantes
- Kabir Sadeghi, professor of civil engineering, pioneer of marine and offshore construction
- Bayram Al Sulayfani, professor of Arbil University
- Ahmad Loukili, professor of civil engineering, Ecole Centrale de Nantes
- Sofian Amziane, professor of civil engineering
Art and Culture
Life on campus
The DRI (Direction des Relations Internationales)
The DRI is the "International Relations Office" of Ecole Centrale de Nantes. The DRI does its utmost to make the arrival and the stay of foreign students the best as possible. The DRI keeps in touch with every foreign student after they obtain their degrees.
The DRI can help the foreign students to find an accommodation near Ecole Centrale de Nantes.
- For students in a double degree program (1st year of engineering degree), a room is automatically booked at the school’s student residential home "Max Schmitt".
- For students in a study stay, research stay and accepted on the masterss degrees, there are rooms available in a university residential home near the campus.
- For students in PhD, it is possible to book an accommodation at the "Maison des Chercheurs Etrangers".
Entertainment associations and clubs
There are many associations and clubs at the Ecoles Centrale de Nantes, led by students. Among them the biggest three are:
- The Association des Etudiants Centrale Nantes is the Student Association often called BDE (Bureau Des Eleves).
- The Association Sportive is the Sport Association often called BDS (Bureau Des Sports).
- The Association Culturelle is the Cultural Association often called BDA (Bureau Des Arts).
The Student Association
The leading members organise the integration week, parties in night clubs or sometimes slightly calmer evenings on the school campus. They also provide bus tickets, dinner tickets for lunch in the canteen and even travelling journeys!
Students can take part in a lot of clubs which have different aims:
- Humanitarian association: Engineers Without Borders, 4L Trophy etc.
- Tasting clubs: French wine tasting, Beer tasting etc.
- Entertaining clubs: music, dance, mascot, etc.
And much more!
The Sport Association
Playing sport is very important and encouraged at Ecole Centrale de Nantes. The best players are offered chances to participate in university, departmental or national championships. For instance, last year the Volleyball team participated in the Amsterdam's SUV Championship and the rugby team participate in the 7 à Paris championship.
Here is a list of sports played at Ecole Centrale de Nantes.
The Cultural Association
With them, you'll learn everything related to what culture means: dancing, music, movies, art...
- La nuit de Centrale: This is the best night ever in your student's life at Centrale Nantes! It is the Graduation for all students.
- Le Week End d'Intégration: It is the Integration weekend. It's an amazing moment where you meet all the new students of Ecole Centrale de Nantes.
- http://uranus.univ-toulouse.fr/fr/system/files/CPelargissementFRANCEAEROTECHdoc.pdf[full citation needed]
- Mackenzie, D. S.; Gunsalus, L.; Lazerev, I. (2002). "Effects of contamination on quench-oil cooling rate". Industrial Heating 69 (1): 35–41. INIST:13434531.
- Kabir, Sadeghi (1995). Simulation numérique du comportement de poteaux en béton armé sous cisaillement dévié alterné [Numerical simulation of reinforced concrete columns under oriented lateral loading] (PhD Thesis) (in French). Travaux Universitaires. INIST:167581.[page needed]