Swedish Air force
Överstelöjtnant (Everstiluutnantti in Finnish) is an officer's rank in Finland and Sweden, immediately above Major (Majuri) and just below Överste (Eversti). Majors who completes a two year management course at the National Defense college in Sweden are promoted to the rank.
Finnish Defence Forces rank of Everstiluutnantti is comparable to Ranks of NATO armies officers as OF-4
1600 - 1700
The holder of the rank was typically the deputy head of a regiment of 1200 troops as well as the commander of a battalion during battle.
Swedish reform 1972
All holders of the rank Major were promoted to Överstelöjtnant.
During peacetime, an everstiluutnantti is the commander of a battalion or a chief of staff for a regiment or brigade. The rank requires completion of a staff officer course.
Only a few reservists have obtained the rank of everstiluutnantti. It requires active participation in national defence and a demanding wartime position.
- Finnish military ranks
- Military ranks of the Swedish armed forces
- Swedish Armed Forces
- Officer Training
- The Swedish Armed Forces official website - military ranks (accessed on July 13, 2007) (in Swedish)
- http://www.goarmy.com/about/ranks_and_insignia.jsp USA enlisted ranks
- http://www.goarmy.com/about/ranks_insignia_officer.jsp USA commissioned officers
- 5. Personnel department of the National Defense at Lidingovagen Stockholm "Bastionen"