Gündoğan in 2013
|Full name||İlkay Gündoğan|
|Date of birth||24 October 1990|
|Place of birth||Gelsenkirchen, Germany|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Central midfielder|
|1993–1998||SV Gelsenkirchen-Hessler 06|
|1999–2004||SV Gelsenkirchen-Hessler 06|
|2008–2009||VfL Bochum II||2||(1)|
|2009–2011||1. FC Nürnberg||48||(6)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10 August 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
İlkay Gündoğan (German pronunciation: [ˈʔɪlkaɪ̯ ˈɡʏndoɡan] ( ), Turkish: [ˈilkaj ˈɡyndoβan]; born 24 October 1990) is a German footballer who plays as a central midfielder for the German Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund and the Germany national football team, having previously played for VfL Bochum and 1. FC Nürnberg. Gündoğan was a central figure in Dortmund's 2011–12 Bundesliga triumph. Usually a playmaking central midfielder, Gündoğan is best known for his passing game and technical qualities.
Gündoğan was born in Gelsenkirchen to Turkish parents. He moved from VfL Bochum to 1. FC Nürnberg in 2009. In his fourth Bundesliga match on 19 September 2009, an away match against FC Bayern Munich, he made his first assist. His first goal for the side came on 20 February 2010 in a home match, again versus Bayern.
On 5 May 2011, it was announced that Gündoğan had signed a four-year contract with Borussia Dortmund. On the 17th matchday, he scored his first goal for Dortmund in a game away to Freiburg. On 20 March 2012, Gündoğan scored a 120th minute goal to defeat SpVgg Greuther Fürth and send Dortmund into the final of the DFB-Pokal.
In the 2012–13 season, Gündoğan was one of the central figures of Borussia Dortmund as they reached the final of UEFA Champions League. He was praised for his play in two semi-final games against Real Madrid.
On 25 May 2013, he scored the equaliser from the penalty spot in the 69th minute to keep Dortmund's hopes alive against Bayern Munich in the 2013 UEFA Champions League Final played at Wembley Stadium, London. This was his first penalty kick in a game for Dortmund. Bayern went on to win the game 2–1.
After years of playing for the different youth teams, Gündoğan received his first call-up to the German senior side in August 2011 for a friendly match against Brazil, but did not feature in the game. On 11 October 2011, he made his debut for Germany after coming on as a substitute in the 3–1 home win against Belgium in a UEFA Euro 2012 qualifier. Prior to that he was approached by Turkey, the birthplace of his parents. Gündoğan declined their offer in favour of playing for his country of birth. He states that it was the hardest decision of his life.
- As of 1 September 2013
|1. FC Nürnberg||2008–09||1||0||0||0||–||0||0||1||0|
|1.||26 March 2013||Frankenstadion, Nuremberg, Germany||Kazakhstan||3–0||4–1||2014 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|2.||14 August 2013||Fritz-Walter-Stadion, Kaiserslautern, Germany||Paraguay||1–2||3–3||Friendly|
- Borussia Dortmund
- "Ilkay Guendogan". bvb.de. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "Gündogan, Ilkay". kicker.de (in German). Retrieved 18 August 2010.
- Dove, Ed (28 March 2013). "Ilkay Gundogan: Most Improved Players". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "İlkay Gündoğan". UEFA.com. 25 May 2012. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "Borussia Dortmund announce signing of Nurnberg's Ilkay Gundogan". goal.com. 5 May 2011. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- McCauley, Kevin (20 March 2012). "SpVgg Greuther Fürth Vs. Borussia Dortmund, 2012 DFB-Pokal: Der BVB Through With Winner At The Death". sbnation.com. Retrieved 24 June 2012.
- Bairner, Robin (24 April 2013). "Player Ratings: Dortmund 4–1 Real Madrid". goal.com. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- Webber, Tom (30 April 2013). "Player Ratings: Real Madrid 2–0 Borussia Dortmund (Agg 3–4)". goal.com. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- Corradino, Rafael (25 May 2013). "Player Ratings: Borussia Dortmund 1–2 Bayern Munich". goal.com. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Dortmund prevail over Bayern in Supercup thriller". bundesliga.com. 27 July 2013. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to İlkay Gündoğan.|
- Official website
- Ilkay Gündogan: A Model of Successful Integration
- İlkay Gündoğan at fussballdaten.de (German)
- İlkay Gündoğan – FIFA competition record
- İlkay Gündoğan – UEFA competition record
- ESPN FC profile
- Bundesliga profile
- kicker profile (German)