|City & Municipality|
|• Head of Executive Power||Mubariz Basmachi|
|Elevation||657 m (2,156 ft)|
|Time zone||AZT (UTC+4)|
|• Summer (DST)||AZT (UTC+5)|
|Area code(s)||+994 178|
The political and economic life of İsmayıllı is dominated by local representatives and clients of the Azerbaijani strongman Ilham Aliyev such as the local governor of Ismailli Rayon Nizami Alekperov. In January, 2013 rioting broke out after a client of the ruling party from Baku became involved in a fight with a local taxi driver after a traffic accident. The businessman from Baku owned a hotel rumored to contain a brothel controlled by Governor Nizami Alekperov. A mob of several thousand local citizens defended the driver, rioted, burned the hotel and attacked the residences of the governor and his son. Police fought back with water cannons and scores were arrested.
There are such kind of enterprises as light and food industries, asphalt plant in Ismayilli. There has been found and obtained granite in the mountains near to Ismayilli. The rayon has a strong agriculture. A kolkhoz named after Kalinin and located in Ivanovka village is famous for its achievements and has a broad fame beyond the borders of Azerbaijan.
- A poultry factory was constructed in 1978. Its territory is 9,7 ha. In 1986, its activity had been stopped. Since 2004 it is functioning as a private sector enterprise. Factory produces hen sausage. At present there are 60 thousand birds. Working personnel consists of 75 people. It is planned to expand the total number of birds up to 150-200 thousand and the working personnel up to 150 people.
- Brake factory “Ragub FK” was constructed in 1989. Its territory is equal to 2 ha. In 1993, the factory’s activity had been stopped, but since 2004 the factory is functioning as a private enterprise. Productive power of the factory is equal to 6 mln. units of the product per annum. Working personnel consists of 90 employees.
- Production enterprise of Lahij is a state enterprise being at “Azerkhalcha” productive union’s disposal. It is functioning since 1966. Its territory is equal to 3300 km2. At present there work 103 employees. The enterprise produces 450–500 km2 of carpet per annum.
- Lahij enterprise which produces carpets is a state enterprise being at “Azerkhalcha” productive union’s disposal. It was began its activity in 1984. In 2001, the enterprise’s activity had been stopped, but 2004 its activity was re-established. There work 72 employees at the enterprise. The enterprise produces 300-350 thousand km2 carpet per annum. Its territory is equal to 1 ha.
- “Sharab No.1” was built in 1930. Till 1966 it was functioned as a wine factory using 10 thousand tones of grape per annum. Since 2003, the factory is functioning as a private enterprise and produces wine and cognac.
Besides that there is a workshop producing kalaghai (national headscarf) in Basgal, pharmaceutical LLC “Shafa-T”, 4 milk enterprises, a workshop producing table water, some private carpet weaving workshops and also some little and middle enterprises in Ismayilli.
- Andrew Roth; Shahla Sultanova (January 25, 2013). "Officials in Azerbaijan Claim to Restore Order to Rioting City". The New York Times. Retrieved January 26, 2013.