İzmir Institute of Technology
|İzmir Institute of Technology|
|İzmir Yüksek Teknoloji Enstitüsü|
|Motto||"Turkey's Technology Base"|
|Established||July 11, 1992|
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Mustafa Güden|
|Location||Urla, İzmir, Turkey|
|Campus||Suburban, 14,980 acres (60.6 km2)|
İzmir Institute of Technology (Turkish: İzmir Yüksek Teknoloji Enstitüsü, commonly referred to as İYTE) is a public research university in İzmir, Turkey. İYTE maintains a strong emphasis on the natural sciences and engineering. It is the only Turkish institute of technology. İzmir Institute of Technology is often cited as among Turkey's top universities.
History and general information
Founded on July 11, 1992 in the Aegean city of İzmir, the main fields of study that can be accessed at the İzmir Institute of Technology are science and technology. Within these fields, the university's principal aims are to carry out research, education, production, publication and consultancy, among other things.
The campus is located on one of the most beautiful stretches of Aegean coast just outside the city of Izmir. Comprising 15,000 acres (61 km2), it boasts two ancient Roman baths, its own waterfalls, olive groves, vineyards, valleys, hills, Mediterranean flora as well as landscaped areas — not to mention the breathtaking sunsets and dawns that must have inspired Anaxagoras as well as the builders of the earliest known olive oil atelier at Klazomenai some ten kilometers from the campus entrance.
Spanning an Edenic natural environment (such as Antiquity knew) with expansive research and living premises and the urban facilities of an ancient, yet energetic, city of three million residents, the İzmir Institute of Technology offers a wide range of possibilities for the active, enquiring researcher and for the contemplative intellectual. Living, working, and natural leisure facilities as well as a large variety of student activities and sports are available on campus. Efficient transportation between campus and city centre is provided by the Institute via the İzmir-Çeşme Highway.
Faculties and departments
İYTE has 16 academic departments, most of which are organized in 3 faculties. These departments are responsible for the undergraduate programs.
- Faculty of Architecture
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Science
In addition to these, there are Department of Foreign Languages and Department of General Cultural Courses.
The Graduate School of Engineering and Science is responsible for the postgraduate programs in IZTECH.
- The Center for Material Research houses major analytical instruments like electron microscope (SEM-EDS), X-ray diffraction (XRD), scanning probe microscope (SPM), DTA-TGA, BET surface area measurement system with a 250 kN mechanical testing machine. All projects related to materials science and engineering use the center resources at one point. Laboratories dedicated to materials research occupy 1500 square meters with the processing done in different parts of the campus and characterization of the produced specimens performed in the Center for Materials and Research. IZTECH is well known for its cutting-edge research on advanced materials like composites, ceramics, metals and polymers. There are four dedicated technical personnel in the center each well-trained to use the analytical instruments. More than 20 faculty members support the center through research and funding activities.
- The Biotechnology and Bioengineering Research Center is an interdisciplinary research center at IZTECH. Biotechnology and bioengineering is the area that takes part in the priority objectives of IZTECH. The Center for Biotechnology and Bioengineering was established in 2004 as a cooperative research and development partnership between universities, industry, and other interdisciplinary areas. The Center has established collaboration with the other research centers of the institute such as Material Research Center, Environment Research Center and Food Safety Research Center. Therefore the center has established a list of people from the institute and other institutions collaborating with these centers interested in biotechnology and bioengineering research. The aim is to expand this list and activate the participation of these people. This center will foster research not only in laboratory level but also make initiations in order to carry over novel projects to industrial level.
- The Food Safety Research Center was established in 2004. The center is a multidisciplinary research group bringing together scientists from the disciplines of engineering, chemistry, and biology. The center was founded upon idea of the importance of the food safety in the absence of which chronic disease, even death, economic loss emerge as unavoidable consequences.
- The vision of İzmir Institute of Technology's Geothermal Research and Application Center includes using sustainable and renewable geothermal energy economical, by the methods which science and technology suggest, around the country wherever possible to have a better and healthier environment for our community and lastly to introduce the science and technology of geothermal energy in Turkey.
- Computer Applications and Research Centre
- Environmental Research Centre
- Project Management Centre
- Communication Networks and Multimedia Research Centre
İzmir Technology Development Zone
İzmir Technology Development Zone  (commonly referred to as İYTE Teknopark) is a science and research park which occupies an area of 225.5 hectares on the campus of IYTE. Connection to the airport, seaport, and to the organised industrial districts is provided by the İzmir-Çeşme Highway. The Zone is ready to serve entrepreneurs with five buildings in 12.200 square metres of enclosed space.
İYTE is widely known for being a selective and difficult university. Students often drop out early or take a longer time than normal to complete their studies. Especially, in Faculty of Engineering, only half of the students can graduate from programs in their regular time.
- İzmir Institute Of Technology
- The Council of Higher Education of the Republic of Turkey. "Foundation Dates of Turkish Higher Education Institutions". Retrieved 2008-03-17.[dead link]
- İzmir Institute Of Technology
- İzmir Technology Development Zone
- Senate of the İYTE (2007-03-12). "Strategic Plan (2008-2012)" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-03-17.
On page 25, we can see that nearly half of the students exceed their normal times (4+1 years).
- Senate of the İYTE (2006-12-08). "Number of students currently studying in undergraduate programs and number of graduates since 1998" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-03-17.
Every year only 40 students accepted in each undergraduate program. The table shows that each year only 20 (avg.) students can graduate from Faculty of Engineering.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to İzmir Institute of Technology.|
IZTECH Student Organizations
- Design Club
- Amerikan Futbol Takımı (DEMONS)
- Girişim Kulübü
- Haberleşme ve Aktivite Topluluğu
- Halk Dansları Topluluğu
- Moleküler Biyoloji ve Genetik Topluluğu (BioGenRS)
- Radyo Hightech
- Physics Society
- Tiyatro Topluluğu
- Türkü Topluluğu
- Yazılım Kulübü