Location of Ōarai in Ibaraki Prefecture
|• Total||23.19 km2 (8.95 sq mi)|
|• Density||850/km2 (2,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|Website||Town of Ōarai|
- Area: 23.19 k㎡ (231.9 hectares／5,730acre)
- Population: 19,203 persons (6,981 households) 2005 national census
- Mayor: Takaaki Kotani
- Assembly Chairman: Takashi Yamato
- Ōarai Town Office Location:
- Telephone +81-29-267-5111(Ext.217) Facsimile+81-29-266-3084
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Important tourism places
- Oarai Beach
- Aqua World (formerly Oarai Aquarium)
- Oarai Marine Tower
- Oarai Sea Museum
Ōarai attracts 3 million visitors a year. Tourist attractions include bathing beaches, yacht and cruiser marina, marine sports, camping site, fishing, aquarium, a famous golf course and Ōarai Isozaki Jinja (Shrine).
Places of interest
- Port of Ōarai (A ferry company operates two ferries to Hokkaidō a day)
- Two ferry wharves, and an "event" wharf
- Fishery Wharves
- Ōarai and Sun Beach Bathing Beaches (First to introduce bathing beach of barrier free for disability in Japan)
- Ōarai Culture and Environment Hands-on Learning Program "Ōarai Umi-no-Daigaku"
- In the wake of the popular 2012 Anime Girls und Panzer, which was set in the town, Ōarai has attracted anime fans to see the sites referenced in the show
- Chosen as one of 55 best bathing locations in Japan
- Chosen as one of 100 best beach in Japan
- Chosen as one of 100 best new tourist spots in Japan
- Chosen as one of 100 best nature in Japan
- Chosen as one of 100 best wood bathing forest in Japan
- Biggest inshore fishery port in Ibaraki Prefecture
- Main fishery products include whitebait, sardines, flounder and clams
- Marine Product Processing - Main products include salted and dried horse mackerel, smelt and sardines and boiled octopus
History and Culture
- The birthplace of Famous Folk song "Isobushi"
- The biggest ancient tomb mound "Kurumazuka-kofun" and "Kagamizuka-kofun"
- The main characters of the anime series Girls und Panzer study in a huge ship originally based in Ōarai. Real locations in the city are also featured in the series which drew fans to visit it, giving a boost to local commerce.
Main agricultural products include rice, sweet potatoes and Japanese radish
- Train: Jōban Line Super or Fresh Hitachi limited express from Ueno Station in Tokyo to Mito (65 minutes) and Kashima Rinkai Tetsudo Line “Ōarai Kashima Sen” from Mito to Ōarai (20 minutes)
- Road: Jōban Expressway (70 minutes from Tokyo) exit Mito-Ōarai Interchange
- Road: Higashi-Kantō Expressway (1 hour 30 minutes)
- Road: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 2 Ferries operate between Ōarai and Tomakomai, Hokkaidō everyday.
Media related to Ōarai, Ibaraki at Wikimedia Commons
- Ōarai official website (Japanese)
|This Ibaraki Prefecture location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|