From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|History of Japan|
Ōwa (応和?) was a Japanese era name (年号, nengō,?, lit. "year name") after Tentoku and before Kōhō. This period spanned the years from February 961 through July 964. The reigning emperor was Murakami-tennō (村上天皇?).
Change of era
- January 20, 961 Ōwa gannen (応和元年?): The new era name was created to mark an event or series of events. The previous era ended and the new one commenced in Tentoku 5, on the 16th day of the 2nd month.
Events of the Ōwa era
- 961 (Ōwa 1, 11th month): Emperor Murakami moved into a the newly constructed palace which had to be re-built after the destructive fire of Tentoku 5 (960).
- 962 (Ōwa 2, 2nd month): The emperor sent deputies to make offerings at number of Shinto shrines—at Ise, at Kamo, at Mizunoo, at Hirano, and at Kasuga.
- 962 (Ōwa 2, 8th month): Fujiwara no Saneyori went to offer prayers at the Iwashimizu Shrine; and many from the Fujiwara clan followed his example.
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2005). "Ōwa" in Japan Encyclopedia, p. 767, p. 767, at Google Books; n.b., Louis-Frédéric is pseudonym of Louis-Frédéric Nussbaum, see Deutsche Nationalbibliothek Authority File.
- Titsingh, Isaac. (1834). Annales ds empereurs du japon, pp. 139-141; Brown, Delmer et al. (1979). Gukanshō, pp. 295-298; Varley, H. Paul. (1980). Jinnō Shōtōki, pp. 183-190.
- Brown, p. 297.
- Titsingh, p. 141.
- Brown, Delmer M. and Ichirō Ishida, eds. (1979). Gukanshō: The Future and the Past. Berkeley: University of California Press. 10-ISBN 0-520-03460-0; 13-ISBN 978-0-520-03460-0; OCLC 251325323
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric and Käthe Roth. (2005). Japan encyclopedia. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. 10-ISBN 0-674-01753-6; 13-ISBN 978-0-674-01753-5; OCLC 58053128
- Titsingh, Isaac. (1834). Nihon Odai Ichiran; ou, Annales des empereurs du Japon. Paris: Royal Asiatic Society, Oriental Translation Fund of Great Britain and Ireland. OCLC 5850691
- Varley, H. Paul. (1980). A Chronicle of Gods and Sovereigns: Jinnō Shōtōki of Kitabatake Chikafusa. New York: Columbia University Press. 10-ISBN 0231049404/13-ISBN 9780231049405; OCLC 6042764
- National Diet Library, "The Japanese Calendar" -- historical overview plus illustrative images from library's collection
|Era or nengō