16 January 1985 |
|Alma mater||Başkent University, Ankara|
Born on January 16, 1985 in Çanakkale, she was educated at the Gazi Primary School, and received a secondary education at the Milli Piyango Anatolian High School in her hometown. For her higher education, she moved to Ankara, and became a dietitian graduating from the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics at Başkent University’s Faculty of Health Sciences.
Her participation in underwater sports began with scuba diving and underwater rugby. For twelve years, she is interested in various branches of underwater sports, and is a member of four national teams since 2001. She participated with the underwater hockey, underwater rugby, underwater orienteering and free diving national teams in the World and European Championships.
Her 110 m (360 ft) long dynamic apnea under ice that was achieved on February 11, 2011 in Lake Weissensee, Austria, found entry into the The Guinness Book of World Records as a world record both for men and women. Former records were 70 m (230 ft) for women and 108 m (354 ft) for men.
Şahika Ercümen is the world record holder of constant weight with fins (at sea) discipline with 70 m (230 ft) set in Dahab, Egypt on November 10, 2011. The former record belonged to Tanya Streeter with 67 m (220 ft). The same day at the same place, she set another world record diving 60 m (200 ft) deep in variable weight apnea without fin (at sea).
On June 1, 2013, she broke her own world record diving in variable weight apnea without fin (at sea) to a depth of 61 m (200 ft) in saline soda waters of Lake Van, eastern Turkey. She stated that she preferred the site for her world-record free-diving attempt because she wanted to call world's attention to the migration of Pearl Mullet (Chalcalburnus tarichi), also called Lake Van fish.
- Erdem, Arif (2010-01-31). "Dalışta Türkiye basamakları çıkmaya başladı". Hürriyet (in Turkish). Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Guines Rekorlar Kitabı'na giren son Türk". Hürriyet (in Turkish). 24 February 2011. Retrieved 11 April 2011.
- "Denizkızı Şahika rekor peşinde!". Sabah (in Turkish). 2011-11-04. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Şahika Ercümen dünya rekoru kırdı". Sabah (in Turkish). 2011-11-11. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Şahika rekor kırdı". Hürriyet (in Turkish <accessdate=2013-06-17). 2011-02-13.
- "Şahika Ercümen Breaks Diving Record". TRT World. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Turkish athlete Şahika ERCÜMEN made her world record attempts in the famous Blue Hole, Dahab, Sinai Peninsula-Egypt". CMAS. 2011-11-14. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Şahika Ercümen'den dünya rekoru". Sabah (in Turkish). 2013-06-01. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "World Record From Şahika Ercümen In Lake Van!". Dive With Seman. 2013-06-03. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
|This biographical article related to diving is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|