|• Hebrew||עָרָה, עארה|
Panoramic view from the west, photographed from a hill to the south of highway 65.
|Grid position||157/212 PAL|
|• Type||Local council|
|Name meaning||"Khurbet Arah": the ruin of ’Arah (personal name)|
'Ara (Hebrew: עָרָה; Arabic: عاره) is a village in the Haifa District in northern Israel, located in the Wadi Ara valley. Since 1985 'Ara has been part of the Ar'ara local council. It is north of highway 65, between Ar'ara and Kfar Qara. Its population of 4,600 (as of 2004) is almost entirely Muslim.
Burial caves along with white mosaic pavements have been excavated at the village. Some of the burial caves have been dated to the Middle and Late Bronze Ages and the Roman era. Byzantine lamps, glass vases and ceramics have also been found.
'Ara, like the rest of Palestine, was incorporated into the Ottoman Empire in 1517, and in the census of 1596, the village appeared in the tax registers as being in the Nahiya of Shara of the Liwa of Lajjun. It had a population of 2 Muslim households and paid taxes on wheat, barley, vines, and goats or beehives.
British Mandate era
'Ara was merged with the neighboring Ar'ara in 1985.
- Abu Hamid, Amani (2010-11-17). "Kh. ‘Ara (South) Final Report" (122). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, Herbert H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Dauphin, Claudine (1998). La Palestine byzantine, Peuplement et Populations. BAR International Series 726 (in French). III : Catalogue. Oxford: Archeopress.
- Hütteroth, Wolf-Dieter; Abdulfattah, Kamal (1977). Historical Geography of Palestine, Transjordan and Southern Syria in the Late 16th Century. Erlanger Geographische Arbeiten, Sonderband 5. Erlangen, Germany: Vorstand der Fränkischen Geographischen Gesellschaft. ISBN 3-920405-41-2.
- Massarwa, Abdallah (2010-07-12). "Khirbat ‘Ara" (122). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.
- Massarwa, Abdallah (2010-10-03). "Khirbat ‘Ara Final Report" (122). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.