'Round Midnight (song)
|Song by Thelonious Monk|
It is thought that Monk originally composed the song sometime in 1940 or 1941. However, Harry Colomby claims that Monk may have written an early version around 1936 (at the age of 19) with the title "Grand Finale".
Jazz artists Cootie Williams, Dizzy Gillespie, Art Pepper, and Miles Davis have further embellished the song, with songwriter Bernie Hanighen adding lyrics. Both Williams and Hanighen have received co-credits for their contributions.
The song is also called "'Round About Midnight", as Miles Davis used this title for his Columbia Records album 'Round About Midnight (1957) that included a cover based on Dizzy Gillespie's interpretation. It became a signature song for Miles Davis, it is said because his performance of it with Monk at the 1955 Newport Jazz Festival is said to have gotten him a record deal at Columbia Records. He recorded the song in the studio two other times, once for Prestige in 1953 and again in 1956 as released on Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants.
The version by Jimmy McGriff was used as the 6pm closedown theme in the early days of Radio Caroline in 1964.
In 1971, Ron Grainer used a down-tempo variation by Cootie Williams to accompany a memorable scene from The Omega Man. The song later appeared on a 2004 Gotan Project CD, Inspiración Espiración, featuring Chet Baker.
In 1986, the song was used as the title for the film Round Midnight which starred veteran saxophonist Dexter Gordon in a fictional story about an expatriate American jazz musician living in Paris. The soundtrack by Herbie Hancock prominently features the song 'Round Midnight along with a number of other jazz standards and a handful of original pieces written by Hancock.
In 2002, Italian pianist Emanuele Arciuli commissioned a number of composers to create the Round Midnight Variations. The composers included Roberto Andreoni, Milton Babbitt, Alberto Barbero, Carlo Boccadoro, William Bolcom, David Crumb, George Crumb, Michael Daugherty, Filippo Del Corno, John Harbison, Joel Hoffman, Aaron Jay Kernis, Gerald Levinson, Tobias Picker, Matthew Quayle, Frederic Rzewski, Augusta Read Thomas and Michael Torke.
- Genius of Modern Music: Volume 1 (first recording of the song by Monk)
- Thelonious Himself
- Mulligan Meets Monk
- Thelonious Monk at the Blackhawk
- Monk's Blues (bonus track)
|This section requires expansion. (April 2014)|
- Miles Davis - 'Round About Midnight (1957) 
- Wes Montgomery - The Wes Montgomery Trio (1959)
- Bill Evans - Conversations with Myself (1963)
- Sonny Rollins - Now's the Time (1964) 
- Kenny Burrell - 'Round Midnight (Kenny Burrell album) (1972) 
- Herbie Hancock - Quartet (1982)
- Michel Petrucciani - Live at the Village Vanguard (1985) 
- Phil Woods - Dizzy Gillespie Meets The Phil Woods Quintet (1987) 
- Eric Reed - The Dancing Monk (2011) 
- Ella Fitzgerald
- 'Round Midnight at jazzstandards.com - retrieved on February 20, 2009
- Matthew Quayle
- Gourse, Leslie. Straight, No Chaser: The Life and Genius of Thelonious Monk. Schirmer Books, 1998. ISBN 0-8256-7229-5