(153814) 2001 WN5
Nominal orbit of 2001 WN5 passing the Earth–Moon system in June 2028. Earth is the blue dot, the Moon's orbit is gray, and 2001 WN5 is green.
|Discovered by||LONEOS Project (699)|
|MPC designation||(153814) 2001 WN5|
|Minor planet category||Apollo NEO,
|Aphelion||2.5112 AU (Q)|
|Perihelion||0.91227 AU (q)|
|Semi-major axis||1.711 AU (a)|
|Orbital period||2.24 yr|
|Mean anomaly||158.24° (M)|
|Longitude of ascending node||277.64°|
|Argument of perihelion||44.392°|
|Absolute magnitude (H)||18.2|
(153814) 2001 WN5 is a near-Earth Asteroid belonging to the Apollo family. It was first discovered by the LONEOS Project at Anderson Mesa on November 20, 2001, and was later classified as a Potentially Hazardous Asteroid (PHA). It was removed from the Sentry Risk Table on January 30, 2002. There are precovery images dating back to February 10, 1996. The orbit is well determined with an observation arc of 14.9 years using two radar delay observations, and has an Uncertainty Parameter of 0. The asteroid will pass within 250,000 km (0.65 lunar distances) from the Earth on June 26, 2028. During the close approach, the asteroid should peak at about apparent magnitude 6.7, and will be visible in binoculars. It has an absolute magnitude (H) of 18.2. Depending on its characteristics and albedo, it is estimated to be 700 to 1,500 meters in diameter.
- "JPL Small-Body Database Browser: 153814 (2001 WN5)". Jet Propulsion Laboratory. 2011-01-04 last obs (arc=14.9 years). Retrieved 2011-10-16.
- "Absolute Magnitude (H)". NASA/JPL. Archived from the original on 1 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-30.
- "Date/Time Removed". NASA/JPL Near-Earth Object Program Office. Retrieved 2011-10-16.
- "JPL Close-Approach Data: 153814 (2001 WN5)". 2011-01-04 last obs (arc=14.9 years). Retrieved 2011-10-16.
- "2001WN5 Ephemerides for 26 Jun 2028". NEODyS (Near Earth Objects - Dynamic Site). Retrieved 2011-10-16.
|Large NEO Earth close approach
(inside the orbit of the moon)
26 June 2028
|This asteroid-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|