As We Know It
|"As We Know It"|
|Grey's Anatomy episode|
|Episode no.||Season 2
|Directed by||Peter Horton|
|Written by||Shonda Rhimes|
|Original air date||February 12, 2006ABC)(|
"As We Know It" is the seventeenth episode of the second season of the American television medical drama Grey's Anatomy. The episode was written by Shonda Rhimes and was directed by Peter Horton. It originally aired on the American Broadcasting Company (ABC), on February 12, 2006, running for 43:06 min. This episode is the second of a two-part story.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey.
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang.
- Katherine Heigl as Dr. Izzie Stevens.
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev.
- T.R. Knight as Dr. George O'Malley.
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey.
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber.
- Kate Walsh as Dr. Addison Montgomery-Shepherd.
- Isaiah Washington as Dr. Preston Burke.
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd.
Dr. Bailey is in labor, and without her husband Tucker Jones by her side, she refuses to push so she can give birth. George works with Addison to convince Bailey to have the baby. He finally gets through to Bailey by giving her the motivation that she needs, and ultimately he holds her while she delivers the baby. Izzie and Alex have sex again. Chief Richard Webber is under a lot of stress from everything that's been going on, and it is believed that he is having a heart attack, which lures his wife Adele to the hospital. However, it proves to be just an anxiety attack. Dr. Bailey's husband goes into cardiac arrest. Meredith finally removes the explosive from the patient, and Dylan, the leader of the bomb squad, carries it away. Meredith steps out of the operating room into the hallway, curiously watching Dylan walk away with the explosive, and at that moment, the bomb explodes, killing Dylan and a second bomb squad member. Meredith is knocked unconscious by the explosion. There is a revival of the "shower scene" from the first part, but with a more serious tone: the fully clothed Izzie and Cristina wash blood off of a stunned Meredith as George looks on. Dr. Bailey's husband and the man who had the explosive embedded in his body both survive. At the end of the episode, Preston and Derek become friends, overcoming their initial rivalry in the series beginning, and call each other by their first names. Cristina says "I love you, too" to a sleeping Preston. Derek comes to visit Meredith and says, "You almost died today," and Meredith tells him that she can't remember their last kiss. Derek recalls the kiss for her, telling her that she "smelled like some kind of flower," which Meredith says was lavender, and then he leaves.
The episode's title refers to "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" by R.E.M..
- "I Tell Myself" - Correatown
- "Stay Where You Are" - Ambulance Ltd
- "World Spins Madly On" - The Weepies
- "Back in the Wild" - Los Chicros remixed by Greenskeepers
- "Breathe (2 AM)" - Anna Nalick
- "Unlike Me (A cappella version)" - Kate Havnevik
- "Homebird" - Foy Vance
|This section requires expansion. (July 2012)|
Dave Anderson of TV Guide liked the use of Anna Nalick's song in three key scenes. He called the scene where O'Malley convinces Bailey to go through with the birth "Knight's turn for Emmy consideration." Wetpaint named it in December 2011 one of the 5 best episodes of Grey's Anatomy along with the first part "It's the End of the World". Variety listed the episode in its top 10 most bizarre medical maladies encountered in the series.
- "'24,' 'Grey's Anatomy' top Emmy noms". Quad City Times. Retrieved 1 December 2009.
- Anderson, Dave (February 13, 2006). "Grey's Anatomy Let me get this...". TV Guide. Retrieved February 2, 2013.
- Clarendon, Dan (December 12, 2011). "The 5 Best Episodes of Grey's Anatomy". Wetpaint. Retrieved July 16, 2012.
- Angulo Chen, Sandie (May 6, 2009). "'Grey's' most bizzarre medical maladies". Variety. Reed Business Information. Retrieved October 13, 2012.