(I'm Always Touched by Your) Presence, Dear
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013)|
|"(I'm Always Touched By Your) Presence, Dear"|
|Single by Blondie|
|from the album Plastic Letters|
|Format||Vinyl 7" & 12" single|
|Genre||New wave, power pop|
|Blondie singles chronology|
"(I'm Always Touched by Your) Presence, Dear" is a song from the 1977 album Plastic Letters by Blondie, which was also the second single off that album, following up the international breakthrough single "Denis", reaching #10 in the UK in May 1978. It was never released as a single in the US.
It was written by former bass player Gary Valentine, a/k/a Gary Lachman, for his then girlfriend Lisa Jane Persky before his departure from the band. Valentine had also written the band's first single, "X Offender".
In a 2012 interview, Lachman explained that the song concerns a telepathic connection between him and his girlfriend. "That was about these paranormal experiences I was having with my girlfriend at the time. We were in telepathic contact with each other when I was on tour. We would discover we’d be having the same dreams and we always seemed to know what the other was doing, which sometimes proved uncomfortable!" 
The single was issued in both 7" & 12" formats in the UK, with two songs on the B-side, as were previous singles, "Rip Her to Shreds" and "Denis". One of the single's B-side tracks was "Detroit 442", and the other was Jimmy Destri's "Poets Problem", which was not on the original release of Plastic Letters. "Poets Problem" was first issued on CD on the 1993 rarities compilation Blonde and Beyond and later as a bonus track on both the 1994 and 2001 re-releases of Plastic Letters.
Gary Valentine's version of the song was released on his 2003 on compilation of his work in music entitled Tomorrow Belongs to You
- UK 7" and 12" (CHS 2217)
- "(I'm Always Touched by Your) Presence, Dear" (Gary Valentine) – 2:43
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||14|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||10|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||10|
- "(I'M ALWAYS TOUCHED BY YOUR) PRESENCE, DEAR [single]". deborah-harry.com. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Valentino, Bianca (26 September 2012). "Blondie’s Gary Lachman on Madame Blavatsky: The Mother of Modern Spirituality". . Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Tomorrow Belongs to You". allmusic.com. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- "Ultratop.be – Blondie – (I'm Always Touched by Your) Presence, Dear" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Blondie - I m Always Touched by Your Presence Dear search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved July 28, 2013.