(I Just) Died in Your Arms
|"(I Just) Died in Your Arms"|
|Single by Cutting Crew|
|from the album Broadcast|
|B-side||"For the Longest Time"|
|Released||25 July 1986|
|Recorded||March - June 1986|
|Writer(s)||Nick Van Eede|
|Cutting Crew singles chronology|
"(I Just) Died in Your Arms" is a song by the English rock band Cutting Crew. It was released in July 1986 as the band's debut single and lead single from their debut studio album, Broadcast (1986). It remains their biggest hit, peaking at number-one in the United States, Canada and Finland, and reaching the top five in the UK, South Africa, Sweden and Switzerland. It was produced by Terry Brown and mixed at Utopia Studios in London by Tim Palmer.
Background and writing
The actual words "I just died in your arms tonight" originally came to Nick Van Eede while he was having sex with his girlfriend, the French phrase "la petite mort", or "the little death", being a metaphor for orgasm. After writing down his version of the phrase, he later used it as the opening line to the song as well as using it as the chorus.
There were two music videos produced. The North American version featured artistic fragmented shots using a model, with the band performing to camera. The UK version was filmed both in colour as well as in black and white in a film studio.
First released in Britain, the song peaked at #4 on the UK charts in August 1986. Upon its release in the United States, the previously unknown band's debut single shot to number one on 2 May 1987, and stayed there for two weeks. It also reached #4 on the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart, #24 on Billboard's Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks chart and (in a remix version) #37 on the Hot Dance/Club Play chart. The song spent three weeks at #1 in Canada.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||8|
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||9|
|Belgium (VRT Top 30 Flanders)||19|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||1|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||4|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||50|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||9|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||4|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||4|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks||4|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||24|
- Bronson, Fred (2001). The Billboard Book of Number One Hits. ISBN 0-8230-7677-6. Retrieved January 25, 2007.
- Music video in MyVideo.de
- "Austriancharts.at – Cutting Crew – (I Just) Died in Your Arms" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- Belgian peak
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2010-04-05.
- "Cutting Crew: (I Just) Died in Your Arms" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Chartverfulgong > Cutting Crew > (I Just) Died in Your Arms – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Charts.org.nz – Cutting Crew – (I Just) Died in Your Arms". Top 40 Singles.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Cutting Crew search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Cutting Crew – (I Just) Died in Your Arms". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Cutting Crew – (I Just) Died in Your Arms". Singles Top 60.
- "Swisscharts.com – Cutting Crew – (I Just) Died in Your Arms". Swiss Singles Chart.