|Look up -zilla in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
-zilla is an English slang suffix, a back-formation derived from the English name of the Japanese movie monster Godzilla. It is popular for the names of software and websites. It is also found often in popular culture to imply some form of excess, denoting the monster-like qualities of Godzilla.
The use of the suffix was contested by Toho, owners of the trademark Godzilla, in a lawsuit against the website Davezilla and also against Sears for their mark Bagzilla. Toho has since trademarked the word "Zilla" and retroactively used it as an official name for the "Godzilla In Name Only" from the 1998 Roland Emmerich film.
List of -zillas
Some uses of the suffix -zilla include:
Businesses and products
- Mozilla, a group of Internet-related programs created by the Mozilla Foundation, also name of the group's widely known web browser
- Bugzilla, open source bug tracking software, with a web-based interface.
- ChatZilla, an Internet Relay Chat program
- Mozilla Application Suite
- STOPzilla, an Anti-Virus and Anti-malware program for Microsoft Windows
- AmiZilla, an Amiga port of Mozilla Firefox
- Chipzilla, a humorous epithet for the Intel Corporation
- Clonezilla, an open source disk cloning software
- FileZilla, an FTP program
- Go!Zilla, a download manager program
- RarZilla, a RAR utility application for Microsoft Windows
- Podzilla, an open source user interface for the IPodLinux project, which allows for alternative functionality of Apple Computer's iPod
- Quizilla, an online personality quiz website, which contains its own "Zillapedia"
- Shopzilla, a comparison-shopping search engine, formerly BizRate.com
- Eventzilla, an online event registration website
- Godzilla, the film from which the -zilla suffix (as aforementioned) originates
- Bongzilla, a rock band from Madison, Wisconsin
- Bridezillas, a reality show which airs on the WE: Women's Entertainment network
- Bridezilla (band), an Australian indie rock band
- Bridezilla (EP), a recording by the band Bridezilla
- Broadzilla, a rock band from Detroit, Michigan
- Tekzilla, a weekly video podcast on the Revision3 network
- Davezilla, a humor website
- Rapzilla, a Christian hip hop online magazine
- Illzilla, an Australian hip hop group featuring live instruments
- "Bootzilla", a song recorded by Bootsy's Rubber Band
- Popzilla, an animated TV series in production for MTV
- Hogzilla, a large male wild hog hybrid that was stabbed and killed in Georgia, United States.
For derived words
- Chrysti M. Smith. Verbivore's Feast: Second Course: More Word & Phrase Origins.
- William Tsutsui. "Godzilla and Postwar Japan Lunch Keynote". Address 2004 National Meeting Asian Studies.
- "Godzilla vs. the blog thing". CNET.com.
- Philip Summa. "New Test for Trademark Dilution - Why North Carolina Should Adopt Section 12 of the Model State Trademark". Campbell L. Rev. 5.
- "ZILLA - Trademark Details". Justia Trademarks. Retrieved May 8, 2013.
- Kuma, Amit (30 July 1998). "DOSzilla The Free, Mozilla Based, Web Browser for DOS". idt.net. Archived from the original on 10 October 1999. Retrieved 15 June 2010.