|TLD type||internationalized country code top-level domain|
|Status||Rejected by ICANN|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Bulgaria|
|Actual use||Not yet introduced|
|Registration restrictions||Intended for Cyrillic domain names only; no firm policy yet defined.|
The domain name бг (abbreviation of Bulgarian: България, Bălgarija) was a proposed internationalized country code top-level domain (IDN ccTLD) for Bulgaria. The ASCII DNS name of the domain would be xn--90ae, according to rules of the Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications procedures.
It has been rejected by ICANN twice, due to its visual similarity to .br, and the three-letter substitute .бгр will most likely be proposed next.
- On 24 October 2007, UNINET, a Bulgarian association announced the intent to submit an application for creation of the .бг domain.
- On 23 June 2008, the government of Bulgaria officially announced its intent to operate the domain in a letter from Plamen Vatchkov, chairman of the Bulgarian State Agency for Information Technology and Communication, to Paul Twomey, president and CEO of ICANN, after several months of discussions within the Internet Society – Bulgaria involving senior government ministers.
- On 18 May 2010 ICANN rejected the proposed domain on the grounds of visual similarities with the Brazilian ccTLD domain br. In June 2010 the Minister of Transport, Information Technology and Communications Alexander Tsvetkov confirmed in a radio interview that Bulgaria would file a second request for the same domain. Disapproval of the domain would mean lower interest and usage of Bulgaria's alternative IDNs than currently expected.
- On 10 January 2011 the Minister of Transport, Information Technology and Communications organized a round-table between all interested parties, where all agreed to continue with the application for .бг A poll has shown that .бгр has the second highest support, after .бг.
- In March 2011 ICANN rejected .бг a second time. Bulgarian authorities have gone ahead discussing other Cyrillic domains.
- (English) Bulgaria moves to register Cyrillic Internet domain, Reuters, 23 June 2008; accessed 24 September 2008.
- (English) Bulgaria moves to register Cyrillic Internet domain, email from Dessi Pefeva to ICANN's At-Large mailing list, 24 June 2008; accessed 24 September 2008.
- (English) Bulgaria's Cyrillic Internet Domain Name Request was Turned Down, Bulgarian Ministry of Transport, Information Technology and Communication, 19 May 2010; accessed 19 May 2010.
- (Bulgarian) Министър Цветков иска контрол върху информационните сайтове, DarikNews.bg, 26 June 2010; accessed 14 July 2010.
- (English) Bulgaria to Make Another Push for 'бг' Cyrillic Web Domain, Novinite.com, 14 January 2011; accessed 18 January 2011.
- ICANN Snubs Bulgaria's Cyrillic Internet Domain Name Again
- MEP SLAMS BULGARIAN GOVT FOR FALLING BEHIND WITH CYRILLIC INTERNET DOMAINS
|This Internet domain name article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|