.50 caliber handguns
A .50 caliber handgun is a handgun firing a bullet measuring approximately .5 inches (12.7 mm) in diameter. Historically, many black powder pistols fired bullets with diameters well above ½ inch. However, following the development of smokeless powder, the focus shifted to smaller-diameter bullets propelled at higher velocities, and the development of .50 and larger calibers in handguns became uncommon.
In the twentieth century, several new cartridges of half-inch diameter were developed, with the .50 Action Express (1988) being the first to achieve wide popularity. The diameter was further popularized by the development of the .500 S&W Magnum in 2003.
There are automatic, revolver, single-shot, and bolt action .50 caliber handgun designs. Handguns of this caliber tend to be larger and heavier than most others of their type, for both structural integrity and absorbing the recoil associated with firing these rounds.
Despite being featured in many video games and action films as the weapon of choice for some members of elite military and law enforcement units, these guns are in reality used primarily for hunting, target shooting, and silhouette shooting. One exception is the Russian RSh-12 (see below) which indeed is used (in limited qualities) by special forces of the Russian Federation.
.50 Action Express
- Israel Military Industries Desert Eagle
- Arcadia Machine & Tool AutoMag V
- LAR Manufacturing Grizzly Mark V
- Freedom Arms Model 555
- Conversions for the Glock 20/Glock 21
- Guncrafter Industries Model No. 1
- Guncrafter Industries Model No. 2
- Guncrafter Industries Model No. 3
.500 S&W Magnum
- Smith & Wesson Model 500
- Smith & Wesson Performance Center John Ross 5" .500 S&W Magnum
- Taurus Raging Bull Model 500
- Magnum Research BFR
- JTL-E .500 S&W Magnum 12"
- Gary Reeder Custom Guns Ultimate 500
- Taurus Raging Bull
- Ruger Bisley (.500 Linebaugh)
- Magnum Research BFR (.50 Beowulf)
- Freedom Arms Model 83 .500 WE (.500 Wyoming Express)
- RSh-12 (12.7x50 PS-12) 
- Triple Action Thunder (.50 BMG)
- Shideler, Dan (2011). Gun Digest 2011. Krause. p. 368. ISBN 978-1-4402-1337-3.
- Van Zwoll, Wayne (2006). Hunter's Guide to Long-Range Shooting. Stackpole Books. pp. 335–339. ISBN 978-0-8117-3314-4.
- Hartink, A.E. (2002). The Complete Encyclopedia of Pistols and Revolvers. Edison, New Jersey: Chartwell Books, Inc. pp. 165–167. ISBN 978-0-7858-1519-8.
- Taffin, John (2005). "The Desert Eagle of Magnum Research". Guns Magazine 30 (8).
- Hartink, A.E. (2003). The Complete Encyclopedia of Pistols and Revolvers. Edison, New Jersey: Chartwell Books, Inc. pp. 132–134. ISBN 978-0-7858-1871-7.
- Image of RSh-12 on Guns Pics, the only English-language site to have one of this rare gun.