|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Registry||SX Registry SA B.V.|
|Sponsor||SX Registry SA B.V.|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Sint Maarten and for others|
|Actual use||Gets some use|
|Registration restrictions||Local presence on the island is not required|
Sint Maarten became an autonomous country within the Kingdom of the Netherlands on October 10, 2010. On December 15, 2010, the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency allocated SX as the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code for Sint Maarten.
The sx top-level domain is managed by SX Registry SA, contracting technical operations to OpenRegistry.com with centers in Canada and Luxembourg. Registrars of sx domains must be accredited by the registry.
After an initial sunrise period to claim trademarked names, and registration periods for local priority, and landrush assignments the registry opened general availability registrations to the public on 15 November 2012. A local presence is not required of domain name registrants.
- Grandfather period to protect Sint Maarten holders of AN domain names ended May 2, 2012.
- Sunrise period to protect trademark holders was conducted from May 3 to July 4, 2012.
- Local Sint Maarten corporate and personal priority periods were from July 5 to September 4, 2012.
- Landrush period was from September 5 to October 4, 2012.
- General availability period during which anyone may register a SX domain name started November 15, 2012
- .nl, ccTLD for the Netherlands
- .aw, ccTLD for Aruba
- .an, ccTLD for the former Netherlands Antilles
- .mf, the ccTLD proposed for the Saint Martin, the French side of the island.
- ISO 3166-1 Newsletter VI-8 (2010-12-15): Code elements for Bonaire, Saint Eustatius and Saba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten (Dutch part), update of other territories and minor correction. 2010-12-15. Accessed 2011-02-12.
- "Report on the Delegation of the .CW domain representing Curaçao to the University of the Netherlands Antilles, and transitional arrangements for the .AN domain representing the Netherlands Antilles". IANA. 3 October 2011. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- ".SX Domain Names Now Open to the World!". Registry.sx. 2012-11-15. Retrieved 2012-12-04.
- "The Pirate Bay Moves to .SX as Prosecutor Files Motion to Seize Domains". TorrentFreak. Retrieved 13 May 2013.