|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Intended use||Entities connected with South Africa|
|Actual use||Popular in South Africa|
|Registration restrictions||None in .co.za; various restrictions in other subdomains|
|Structure||Registrations are only taken at third level beneath various second-level labels|
|Documents||Articles of Association of ZADNA|
|Dispute policies||Under development|
None of the official names for South Africa can be abbreviated to ZA, which is an abbreviation of the Dutch Zuid-Afrika. This is a legacy of when Dutch was an official language in South Africa, before being replaced by Afrikaans, in which the name of the country is Suid-Afrika. Afrikaans joined English and Dutch as an official language of South Africa in 1925 in a synonym-status with Dutch, and in the South African Constitution of 1961 Dutch was removed as an official language altogether and replaced by Afrikaans. In 1983 Dutch lost its synonym-status with Afrikaans. However, the .sa domain is used by Saudi Arabia and ZAR is the ISO 4217 currency code for the South African Rand.
The international vehicle code for South Africa has been ZA since 1936.
2nd level domains 
Open and active 
- .ac.za - academic and tertiary societies
- .co.za - commercial, general use
- .edu.za - for distance learning institutions
- .gov.za - government departments
- .law.za - for legal firms
- .mil.za - military institutions
- .nom.za - for personal names, not organizations
- .org.za - for non-commercial entities.
- .school.za - for schools in South Africa
- .alt.za - Historical registrants
- .net.work.za - Network infrastructure.
- .ngo.za - for non-governmental organizations. New registrations pending .za DNA public consultation process
- .tm.za - for trademarks. On hold pending establishment of the .ZA DNA
- .web.za - only for web servers. New registration system under development.
- .agric.za - ARC & Company
- .grondar.za - Mark R V Murray
- .inca.za - Internetworking Cape
- .nis.za - Network Information Systems
Former (Deleted) 
ZADNA removed a number of domains from the .za zone on the 7 August 2009
- .bourse.za - for all companies which are listed on the JSE Securities Exchange
- .city.za - for municipal governments.
- .cybernet.za - Infront Investments Five cc
- .db.za - De Beers
- .iaccess.za - Compustat
- .imt.za - Institute for Maritime Technology
- .landesign.za - Lan Design (no longer exists)
- .olivetti.za - Olivetti/Mark Elkins
- .pix.za - Proxima Information Exchange