|Industry||Moving & Storage|
|Headquarters||Bethesda, Maryland, USA|
|Bob Porier (CEO), James Burati (SVP), Ben Cross (SVP)|
|Slogan||Moving + Portable Storage|
1-800-PACK-RAT was founded in 2001, beginning with the design of an all-steel, waterproof portable storage container. The container got the nickname “Pack Rat” because of its ability to store everything. In 2003, a system capable of loading a full, 8,500 pound storage container was developed, and three locations were opened in North Carolina. Within the next two years, 1-800-PACK-RAT grew from 3 locations to 50.
Currently, the company provides storage containers, third-party packing services, property protection plans, boxes and moving supplies, and climate-controlled warehouses in 64 markets. They were named the 12th fastest growing franchise of 2010, by Franchise Times magazine.
1-800-PACK-RAT has partnered with a number of organizations to provide storage and moving capabilities. In 2010, they partnered with Toys for Tots as well as providing the Boy Scouts of America with on-site storage for their 2010 National Scout Jamboree.
1-800-PACK-RAT is involved with several community charity projects. They had sponsored the Wounded Warrior Project Soldier Ride—a coast-to-coast bicycling fundraiser—by providing storage and transportation. They donated storage containers to Middleburg, Florida resident Margaret Gilmore, who lost her home after she spent a year in the hospital due to a heart problem, as part of a community effort. 1-800-PACK-RAT also donates storage to homeless shelters, churches, and nonprofit groups which received mention in the Washington Post. On October 23, 2010, 1-800-PACK-RAT provided containers to KaBOOM and the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation to help their efforts in building a playground in one day for the children at Hyde Leadership Public Charter School.
- About Us 1-800 PACK RAT Official Website.
- 1-800-PACK-RAT Company Overview Bloomberg Business. August 5, 2010.
- These 55 young franchises are really going places - fast Franchise Times. April 2010.
- A Special Offer for Toys for Tots Donors 1-800 PACK-RAT Official Site.
- 1-800-PACK-RAT supports Boy Scouts Jamboree with Portable Storage Free Press Release. July 1, 2010.
- 1-800-PACK-RAT Makes Moves with Wounded Warriors I-Newswire. June 14, 2010.
- Soldier Ride - Sponsors Wounded Warrior Project: Soldier Ride.
- Levine-Brown, Patti. A home of her own; She lost her home while hospitalized; the local church helped her back to ownership. The Florida Times-Union via LexisNexis. April 14, 2007. "‘She was in a bad situation and her living conditions were appalling,’ said Marc Garcia of 1-800-PACK-RAT, a Jacksonville business that provided Gilmore with a 16-foot storage container for her belongings until her new home could be placed on her lot. ‘I don't know how she lived like she did for so long. I am just glad we could help.’ ”
- Jones, Tiffany. “Storage units made available to churches, nonprofit groups.” News & Record (Greensboro, NC) via LexisNexis December 7, 2008. “One Greensboro business is helping non profit organizations with their storage needs.1-800-Pack-Rat Portable Storage has issued 100 storage units to local churches and non profits free of charge. ‘We've been trying to get involved with our communities," regional sales manager Kevin Walls said.’
- Koncius, Jura The Comforts of a Temporary Home Washington Post. April 30, 2009.
- 1-800-PACK-RAT to help KaBOOM! build D.C. youth playground in one day