|100 Greatest African Americans: A Biographical Encyclopedia
||Molefi Kete Asante
100 Greatest African Americans is a biographical dictionary of the one hundred historically greatest Black Americans (in no particular order; that is, they are not ranked), as assessed by Molefi Kete Asante in 2002.
Asante used five factors in establishing the list:
- "significance in the general progress of African-Americans toward full equality in the American social and political system"
- "self-sacrifice and a willingness to take great risks for the collective good"
- "unusual will and determination in the face of great danger and against the most stubborn odds"
- "a consistent posture toward raising the social, cultural and economic status of African Americans"
- "personal achievement that reveals the best qualities of the African American people"
- Asante, Molefi Kete (2002). 100 Greatest African Americans: A Biographical Encyclopedia. Amherst, NY: Prometheus. ISBN 978-1-57392-963-9.