From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||10th century – 11th century – 12th century|
|Decades:||980s 990s 1000s – 1010s – 1020s 1030s 1040s|
|Years:||1013 1014 1015 – 1016 – 1017 1018 1019|
|1016 by topic|
|Lists of leaders|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1769|
|Bahá'í calendar||-828 – -827|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||乙卯年 (Wood Rabbit)
3712 or 3652
— to —
丙辰年 (Fire Dragon)
3713 or 3653
|- Vikram Samvat||1072–1073|
|- Shaka Samvat||938–939|
|- Kali Yuga||4117–4118|
|Japanese calendar||Chōwa 5
|Minguo calendar||896 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1559|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1016.|
- March 10 – Emperor Sanjō abdicates the throne of Japan and soon afterwards is succeeded by his cousin Emperor Go-Ichijō, aged about 8.
- Earthquakes partly destroy the Dome of the Rock in the Old City of Jerusalem.
- March 25 – Battle of Nesjar (off the coast of Norway): Olaf Haraldsson is victorious over former co-regent Sweyn Haakonsson confirming his status as King of Norway.
- April 23 – Æthelred, King of England, dies, and is succeeded by his son Edmund Ironside.
- c. May – Battle of Brentford (near London): King Edmund defeats the Danes under Cnut, Prince of Denmark.
- October 18 – Battle of Assandun: Cnut defeats Edmund, leaving the latter as king of Wessex only.
- November 30 – King Edmund dies and Cnut takes control of the whole of the Kingdom of England.
- The Pisan and the Genoese republics launch a naval offensive against the Muslim strongholds of Sardegna, in particular Porto Torres and defeat the fleet of the taifa king of Dénia, Mujāhid al-‘Āmirī al-Muwaffaq.
- Melus of Bari makes a second attempt against Byzantine-held Southern Italy. To support his cause, he hires Norman mercenaries, unwittingly triggering the rise of Norman rule over southern Italy.
- Georgius Tzul, ruler of Khazaria, is captured by a combined Byzantine Empire–Kievan Rus' force, which effectively ends Khazaria's existence.
- April 23 – Æthelred the Unready, King of England
- November 30 – Edmund II, King of England
- Emperor Sanjō of Japan
- Badis ibn Mansur, third ruler of the Zirid dynasty in North Africa.
- Williams, Hywel (2005). Cassell's Chronology of World History. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson. pp. 105–106. ISBN 0-304-35730-8.
- Palmer, Alan; Veronica (1992). The Chronology of British History. London: Century Ltd. pp. 48–49. ISBN 0-7126-5616-2.
- Benvenuti, Gino (1985). Le Repubbliche Marinare. Amalfi, Pisa, Genova e Venezia. Rome: Newton & Compton Editori. p. 33. ISBN 88-8289-529-7.
- Kleinhenz, Christopher (2010). Medieval Italy: an encyclopedia. New York: Routledge. p. 95. ISBN 0-415-93930-5.