106th (Yeomanry) Regiment Royal Artillery
|106th (Yeomanry) Regiment Royal Artillery|
|Part of||Joint Ground-Based Air Defence Command/1 Artillery Brigade|
|Garrison/HQ||Napier House, Grove Park, London|
The 106th (Yeomanry) Regiment Royal Artillery is part of the Army Reserve and have sub-units throughout the South of England. The Regiments role is Close Air Defence and is part of Joint Ground Based Air Defence (Jt GBAD) and uses the Starstreak missile. Two Batteries will be armoured and will operate in support of maneuver forces whilst one Battery will be equipped with the lightweight LML version. The Regiment is paired with 12th Regiment Royal Artillery for training, exercise and operations.
The regiment was formed in 1999 as 106 (Yeomanry) Regiment Royal Artillery (Volunteers). Its units were 202 (Suffolk and Norfolk Yeomanry) Battery at Bury St Edmunds (transferred from 100th (Yeomanry) Regiment Royal Artillery), 265 (Home Counties) Battery at Grove Park in London (also transferred from 100th (Yeomanry) Regiment Royal Artillery), 269 (West Riding) Battery at Leeds and 457 (Hampshire Yeomanry) Battery at Southampton. 202 Battery and 269 Battery left the regiment in 2006.
Under Army 2020, this regiment will have three batteries of missiles. 210 (Staffordshire) Battery Royal Artillery will subordinate to 103rd (Lancashire Artillery Volunteers) Regiment Royal Artillery and re-role as a light gun regiment. A new battery, 295 (Hampshire Yeomanry) Battery Royal Artillery, will be formed in Portsmouth. 106 Regiment RA will pair with 12 Regiment RA and come under the Joint Ground-Based Air Defence Command.
The batteries are as follows:
- 265 (Home Counties) Battery, based at Grove Park in London and equipped with Lightweight Multiple Launcher High Velocity Missile. It re-roled to the Lightweight Multiple Launcher High Velocity Missile from Rapier (missile) under Army 2020.
- 457 (Hampshire Carabiniers Yeomanry) Battery, based in Southampton and equipped with Starstreak. It will re-roled to the Self-Propelled High Velocity Missile under Army 2020.
- 295 (Hampshire Yeomanry) Battery, based in Portsmouth and equipped with Starstreak/Self-Propelled High Velocity Missile.
- "Royal Regiment of Artillery, Volunteer Regiments". Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- "101 Regiment Royal Artillery".
- "Summary of Army Reserve Structure and Basing Changes" (PDF). Retrieved 11 May 2014.