The 1080 is a skateboarding stunt, performed on a skateboard ramp, in which the skateboarder makes three full revolutions (1080 degrees rotation in the horizontal plane) while airborne. It was first completed successfully by a 12-year-old American, Tom Schaar, on March 30, 2012. Schaar completed the stunt on a MegaRamp at Woodward West in Tehachapi, California on his fifth attempt. Red Bull described the 1080 as "the Holy Grail of all skateboard tricks." Schaar has since repeated the feat, and completed a 1080 in competition while participating in the 2012 X Games Asia on April 30, 2012. He won the gold medal in the Skateboard Mini MegaRamp category, the youngest person ever to have done so. At The Dew Tour Ocean City Tom landed the 1080 in Skate Mega 2.0 which resulted in him coming first.
Tom Schaar 
The jump was filmed by several cameras at the MegaRamp at Woodward West in Tehachapi, California. A roll-over feature was custom-built which allowed the skater to drop in on the 70-foot-tall and roll right over a 50-foot gap in the ramp, thus allowing Schaar to keep momentum going all the way through to the quarter pipe. Schaar performed several 720s and a 900 while warming-up. He then attempted to perform the 1080, failing four times before successfully landing his fifth attempt, being propelled 15 feet above the top of the ramp.
Schaar commented to ESPN.com, "It was the hardest trick I've ever done, but it was easier than I thought." Several prominent skateboarders had been trying to become the first to perform the much-coveted 1080, with Shaun White thought to be the most likely to make the feat. Tony Hawk tweeted in response to the video: "In the last year I've seen Shaun White try 1080s & Mitchie Brusco crash-land a few. Tom Schaar nailed it."
Successful landings 
- "12-year-old skateboarder nails first ever 1080" (video). Red Bull. March 30, 2012. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- Chuck Schilken (April 2, 2012). "Tom Schaar lands skateboarding's first-ever 1080". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- Sinclair, Jessica (April 3, 2012). "Tom Schaar Lands Skateboarding’s First 1080 (Video)". Long Island Press (Long Island, New York). Retrieved April 4, 2012.
- "Tom Schaar lands first skateboard 1080 in competition". ESPN Video. 30 April 2012.
- "Schaar makes history at KIA X Games Asia". ESPN Star. May 1, 2012. Retrieved May 29, 2012.
- "12-year-old Tom Schaar lands 1080". ESPN. March 30, 2012. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
- "12 year old lands the first ever 1080 on a skateboard". Skateboarding.com.au. 3 July 2012. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- Show, Christine (April 1, 2012). "'It was easier than I thought': 12-year-old boy becomes first person EVER to land 1080 skateboard trick (and now he wants to go even further)". Daily Mail. Retrieved April 4, 2012.
- "12-YEAR-OLD SKATEBOARDER NAILS FIRST EVER 1080 – VIDEO". March 30, 2012.
- "Skateboarder Jono Schwan Lands 2nd 1080 in History". April 29, 2013.
- "Theeve Trucks - Jono Schwan 1080". April 29, 2013.
- "Mitchie Brusco lands 1080 at 2013 X Games – VIDEO". May 17, 2013.