From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1084.
|Centuries:||10th century – 11th century – 12th century|
|Decades:||1050s 1060s 1070s – 1080s – 1090s 1100s 1110s|
|Years:||1081 1082 1083 – 1084 – 1085 1086 1087|
|1084 by topic|
|Lists of leaders|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1837|
|English Regnal year||18 Will. 1 – 19 Will. 1|
|Chinese calendar||癸亥年 (Water Pig)
3780 or 3720
— to —
甲子年 (Wood Rat)
3781 or 3721
|- Vikram Samvat||1140–1141|
|- Shaka Samvat||1006–1007|
|- Kali Yuga||4185–4186|
|Japanese calendar||Eihō 4 / Ōtoku 1
|Minguo calendar||828 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1395/1396 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1626–1627|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1084.|
- Saint Bruno founds the Carthusian Order of monks.
- Kyanzittha begins his reign in Burma.
- Henry IV, Holy Roman Emperor is crowned Emperor by Antipope Clement III.
- Rome is besieged by the Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV, and is then sacked by the Normans of Robert Guiscard, who intended to restore papal authority over the city.
- Pope Gregory VII, who had been imprisoned by Henry IV at the Castel Sant'Angelo, Rome, is freed by Robert Guiscard.
- During the struggle for power in Sweden, King Halsten is killed and his brother Inge the Elder is deposed in Svealand, only ruling Gothenland for the next three years. The Svears take Blot-Sweyn as their king.
- Antioch is captured by the Seljuk Turks from the Byzantines.
- Chancellor Sima Guang and a group of scholars of the Chinese Song dynasty complete the compilation of the Zizhi Tongjian, an enormous written universal history of China in 294 volumes of 3 million written Chinese characters.