10 Items or Less (TV series)
|10 Items or Less|
|Created by||Nancy Hower
Jennifer Elise Cox
Greg Davis Jr.
Chris Payne Gilbert
Christopher Liam Moore
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||21 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Nancy Hower
|Camera setup||Single camera|
|Running time||20–22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Howler Monkey Productions
Sony Pictures Television
|Original run||November 27, 2006– February 24, 2009|
10 Items or Less is a partly scripted, partly improvised American comedy series created by Nancy Hower, Robert Hickey and John Lehr. It starred Lehr as a less-than-successful businessman who returned home to run Greens & Grains, the family-owned supermarket, upon the death of his father.
The series debuted on TBS on November 27, 2006.
In November 2009, a blog posting stated the show had been cancelled, and would not be picked up for the fourth season.
The series stars John Lehr as a failed New York City businessman who moves back to his hometown of Dayton, Ohio to take over the family supermarket following the death of his father. The show is set in the fictional supermarket known as Greens & Grains, located at 5th Street and Tiberius.
A detailed script is written for each episode outlining the overall story arc. However, this script is not shown to the actors; instead they are provided with a loose outline of the plot, often finding out about it as they film. All dialogue is improvised spontaneously by the actors on the set. A typical 22-minute episode will be edited-down from roughly 30 hours of raw improvised dialogue and scenes. John Lehr describes their production style as "similar to Spinal Tap."
- Leslie Pool (John Lehr) - the owner/manager of G&G. Leslie brings his oblivious yet lovable management style to the Greens & Grains grocery store he inherits after his father's death.
- Amy Anderson (Jennifer Elise Cox) - The first and second season manager of Super Value Mart, the G&G's number one competitor from across the street. Amy went to high school with Leslie.
- Mercy P. Jones (Kim Coles) - The third season manager of Super Value Mart. She is ultra-competitive, and trying to put the G&G's out-of-business at all cost.
- Ingrid Wakowski (Kirsten Gronfield) - Ingrid is the quirky, soft-spoken customer service representative who lives for Renaissance Festivals.
- Yolanda Nelson (Roberta Valderrama) - The straight talking dominant force behind the produce department.
- Todd Sykes (Chris Payne Gilbert) - Todd, the butcher who hopes to be a NASCAR driver.
- Carl Dawson (Bob Clendenin) - Carl is the sweet doofus stockboy with a huge crush on Yolanda.
- Richard Mednick (Christopher Liam Moore) - Richard is a dignified cashier who dreams of becoming a professional figure skater.
- Buchwald "Buck" Washington (Greg Davis Jr.) - Buck is a checkout bagger who is looking towards the future of becoming a doctor by attending night school.
|Seasons One and Two||December 27, 2008|
|Season Three||May 1, 2012|
- "TV Q&A with Rob Owen". Post-Gazatte.com. November 13, 2009. Archived from the original on November 16, 2009. Retrieved November 18, 2009.
- "Greens & Grains Grocers - Directions". Archived from the original on January 12, 2008. Retrieved January 17, 2008.
- "'10 Items' thrives on no script, hours of improv strategy". Archived from the original on January 17, 2008. Retrieved January 17, 2008.
- "Grocery-store Comedy Premieres on TBS". Progressive Grocer magazine. November 28, 2006.
- Official website
- Official website from TBS
- Fictitious site for Greens 'n' Grains grocery store
- 10 Items or Less at the Internet Movie Database
- 10 Items or Less at TV.com