MongoDB Inc. (formerly 10gen) is an American software company that develops and provides commercial support for the open source database MongoDB, a NoSQL database that stores data in JSON-like documents with flexible schemas.
The company was first established in 2007 as 10gen. Based in New York City, 10gen was founded by former DoubleClick founder and CTO Dwight Merriman and former DoubleClick CEO and Gilt Groupe founder Kevin P. Ryan with former Doubleclick engineer and ShopWiki founder and CTO Eliot Horowitz and received $81 million in venture capital funding from Flybridge Capital Partners, In-Q-Tel, Intel, New Enterprise Associates (NEA), Red Hat, Sequoia Capital, and Union Square Ventures. 10gen originally aimed to build a platform as a service architecture based entirely on open source components; however, the company was unable to find an existing database platform that met their "principles" for a cloud architecture. As a result, the company began to develop a document-oriented database system it called MongoDB. After realizing the potential of the software on its own, 10gen's team decided to scrap its cloud platform and focus on maintaining MongoDB instead. In 2009, 10gen released MongoDB as an open source project. 10gen opened its first west coast office in August 2010, having offices in Palo Alto, Reston, London, Dublin, Barcelona, and Sydney by 2012.
On August 27, 2013, 10gen announced that it would change its name to MongoDB Inc., associating itself more closely with what ultimately became its flagship products.
CIA backing and controversy
Products and services
MongoDB Inc's primary technology product is the open source, NoSQL database MongoDB. MongoDB Inc. employs most of the developers of MongoDB.
In March 2010, MongoDB announced that it would offer commercial support for MongoDB. MongoDB's subscription offering includes access to MongoDB Enterprise, professional support, and commercial licensing. With MongoDB 2.4 release, MongoDB introduced MongoDB Enterprise as part of its subscription offering. MongoDB Enterprise contains monitoring and security features such as kerberos authentication and role-based privileges.
MongoDB Management Service
In September 2011 the company announced the availability of a free SaaS monitoring tool for MongoDB, then called MongoDB Monitoring Service. MongoDB expanded the MMS offering in April 2013 with the limited release of their hosted backup service, enabling customers to back up their MMS deployments to MongoDB Inc.'s datacenters. Shortly after the release of backup capabilities, MMS was rebranded MongoDB Management Service (MMS).
An on-prem version of MMS is available as part of MongoDB Enterprise.
In addition to online education, MongoDB University offers public training classes around the world as well as on-site training.
- Get in Touch | MongoDB. 10gen.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-18.
- "MongoDB Inc. Appoints Dev Ittycheria as President and CEO". Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- NYC's Largest Venture Capital Deals
- MongoDB, Inc. | CrunchBase Profile. Crunchbase.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-18.
- WSJ, MarketWatch
- Harris, Derrick (May 29, 2012). "With $42M more, 10gen wants to take MongoDB mainstream". GigaOm.
- Metz, Cade (May 25, 2011). "MongoDB daddy: My baby beats Google BigTable". The Register.
- MongoDB Blog - March 2010
- "10gen embraces what it created, becomes MongoDB Inc.". Gigaom. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- 10gen Announces Key Hires in Engineering and Sales
- Sequoia Leads $20 Million Round In MongoDB Big Data Database Provider 10gen
- The Next Big Thing 2012
- Commercial Observer
- MongoDB Inc. Appoints Dev Ittycheria as President and CEO
- Joseph, Lison (Dec 3, 2013). "MongoDB startup hired by Aadhaar got funds from CIA VC arm". The Economic Times.
- Open Source MongoDB Gets Commercial Support
- MongoDB adds support option for community edition of its NoSQL database
- Now Available, By Popular Demand: Production Support for MongoDB Community Edition
- 10gen Rolls Out Free MongoDB Monitoring Service
- MongoDB Management Service
- Introducing MongoDB Management Service - MongoDB Blog
- Want free MongoDB classes? edX and 10gen are happy to oblige
- "10gen Announces Company Results" (Press release). MongoDB. January 28, 2013.
- MongoDB Training