11th Milestone, Isle of Man
The 'Garrow' metal 13th Milestone on the A3 Castletown to Ramsey Road at the 11th Milestone ('Drinkwater's Bend').
11th Milestone, Isle of Man (previously 'Drinkwater's Bend')  is situated between the 11th Milestone and 12th Milestone racing road-side markers on the Snaefell Mountain Course used for the Isle of Man TT Races on the primary A3 Castletown to Ramsey Road which forms the boundary between the parishes of German and Michael in the Isle of Man.
The distinctive elongated S-bend corner was part of the Highland Course and Four Inch Course used for the Gordon Bennett Trial and Tourist Trophy automobile car races held in the Isle of Man between 1904 and 1922. Also the 11th Milestone was part of the St John's Short Course used between 1907 and 1910 and part of the Snaefell Mountain Course used since 1911 for the Isle of Man TT Races and from 1923 the Manx Grand Prix Races.
The area is dominated by the Ballamenagh and Shoughlaige-e-Caine farmland. During the 1850s, the primary A3 Road Castletown to Ramsey was re-profiled between Cronk-y-Voddy and Handley's Corner under the Isle of Man parish board system. This was to avoid marshland and steep inclines creating the distinctive elongated S-bend. During the 1949 350 cc Junior TT Race the popular amateur racer Ben Drinkwater crashed fatally at this point on the Snaefell Mountain Course and the corner became known as Drinkwater's Bend, although subsequently the name has fallen into general disuse.
The original stone 11th milestone was sited at the corner café at Glen Helen. An iron milestone from the 1860s from the period of James Garrow as Isle of Man Surveyor-General is now situated at the northerly end of the former 'Drinkwater's Bend' as the 13th Milestone on the primary A3 Castletown to Ramsey Road.
The current site of the 11th marker post or 11th Milestone road marker for the Snaefell Mountain Course has been placed at Cronk Bane Farmhouse on the Cronk-y-Voddy straight.
The corner was subjected to road surface repair work and re-profiling during the winter of 2005/2006 by the Department of Transport.
- Motorcourse History of the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy Races page 54 & 58 by Nick Harris (1990) First Edition Hazelton Publishing Graficias Estella SA ISBN 0-905138-71-6
- Manx Milestones by Stuart Slack page 33 (1st Edition)(2003)The Manx Experience ISBN 1-873120-58-3
- Manx Milestones by Stuart Slack pp56-57 (1st Edition)(2003)The Manx Experience ISBN 1-873120-58-3
- Isle of Man Examiner dated 3 May 1913
- 1870 Isle of Man Survey – Ordnance Survey Map Grid Ref 230872
- Prohibited and Restricted Areas for the Isle of Man TT Races, Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix, 11th Milestone