12.7 cm SK C/34 naval gun
|12.7 cm SK C/34|
Aft guns on Z3 Max Schultz
|Place of origin||Nazi Germany|
|Used by|| Nazi Germany
|Wars||Second World War|
|Weight||3,645 kilograms (8,036 lb)|
|Length||5.76 meters (18 ft 11 in)|
|Barrel length||5.43 meters (17 ft 10 in) (bore)|
|Shell||separate-loading, cased charge|
|Shell weight||28 kilograms (61.7 lb)|
|Caliber||128 millimeters (5.0 in)|
|Breech||vertical sliding block|
|Elevation||depends on the mount|
|Traverse||depends on the mount|
|Rate of fire||15–18 rpm (maximum)|
|Muzzle velocity||830 meters per second (2,700 ft/s)|
|Maximum firing range||17,400 meters (19,000 yd) at 30°|
The 12.7 cm SK C/34[Note 1] was a German medium-caliber naval gun deployed on destroyers from 1934 through the Second World War. Some of these guns remained in service until 2003 in the coastal defense units of Norway.
The gun could be depressed to -10° and raised to 30°. It had an arc of fire of 360°, meaning that they could rotate a full circle, able to fire at any given point. The gun fired a 28-kilogram (62 lb) high-explosive shell at a muzzle velocity of 830 metres per second (2,700 ft/s) to a range of 17,400 metres (19,000 yd).
Weapons of comparable role, performance and era
- 4.7 inch QF Mark IX & XII : equivalent British destroyer guns, firing slightly lighter shell.
- 5"/38 caliber gun : equivalent US gun, but unlike the German gun had dual-purpose mount allowing anti-aircraft fire.
- SK - Schnelladekanone (quick loading cannon); C - Construktionsjahr (year of design)
- Campbell, John (2002). Naval Weapons of World War Two. London: Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-87021-459-4.
- Gander, Terry; Chamberlain, Peter (1979). Weapons of the Third Reich: An Encyclopedic Survey of All Small Arms, Artillery and Special Weapons of the German Land Forces 1939–1945. New York: Doubleday. ISBN 0-385-15090-3.
- Hogg, Ian V. (1997). German Artillery of World War Two (2nd corrected ed.). Mechanicsville, PA: Stackpole Books. ISBN 1-85367-480-X.
- Rolf, Rudi (1998). Der Atlantikwall: Bauten der deutschen Küstenbefestigungen 1940-1945. Osnabrück: Biblio. ISBN 3-7648-2469-7.