From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1222.
|Centuries:||12th century – 13th century – 14th century|
|Decades:||1190s 1200s 1210s – 1220s – 1230s 1240s 1250s|
|Years:||1219 1220 1221 – 1222 – 1223 1224 1225|
|1222 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1222 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||1975|
|Bahá'í calendar||−622 – −621|
|English Regnal year||6 Hen. 3 – 7 Hen. 3|
|Chinese calendar||辛巳年 (Metal Snake)
3918 or 3858
— to —
壬午年 (Water Horse)
3919 or 3859
|- Vikram Samvat||1278–1279|
|- Shaka Samvat||1144–1145|
|- Kali Yuga||4323–4324|
|Japanese calendar||Jōkyū 4 / Jōō 1
|Minguo calendar||690 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1765|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1222.|
- April 17 – Stephen Langton, Archbishop of Canterbury in England, opens a council at Osney Abbey, Oxford.
- May 11 – Cyprus earthquake.
- August – After the death of John I of Sweden on March 10, 6-year-old Erik Eriksson is elected new King of Sweden sometime between this time and July 1223.
- The Cistercian convent is completed in Alcobaça, Portugal.
- Ottokar I of Bohemia reunites Bohemia and Moravia.
- Traditional date of foundation of the University of Padua in Italy by Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor.
- The Golden Bull of 1222 is issued in Hungary, limiting the power of the monarchy over the nobility.
- Approximate date – Royal Standard of Scotland adopted
- February 16 – Nichiren, Japanese founder of Nichiren Buddhism (d. 1282)
- August 4 – Richard de Clare, 6th Earl of Hertford, English soldier (d. 1262)
- Andrei II of Russia, Grand Prince of Vladimir (d. 1264)
- February 1 – Alexios Megas Komnenos, first Emperor of Trebizond
- March 10 – Johan Sverkersson, king of Sweden since 1216 (b. 1201)
- June 23 – Constance of Aragon (b. 1179)
- August 2 – Count Raymond VI of Toulouse (b. 1156)
- August 12 – Ladislaus Jindrich of Bohemia
- Theodore I Lascaris, founder of the Byzantine Empire of Nicaea