1270s in England
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from 1273 in England)
|1270s in England:|
|1250s | 1260s | 1270s | 1280s | 1290s|
Events from the 1270s in England.
- April - Parliament levies a property tax to support the Eighth Crusade.
- 9 September - William Chillenden elected to the Archbishopric of Canterbury.
- 20 August - Prince Edward participates in the Eighth Crusade.
- Battle of Áth-an-Chip: The army of the Irish Kingdom of Connacht routs the English army near Carrick-on-Shannon.
- Summer - Pope Gregory X sets aside the election of William Chilldenden to the Archbishopric of Canterbury.
- 11 October - Robert Kilwardby enthroned as Archbishop of Canterbury.
- 16 November - King Henry III dies; Prince Edward succeeds him as Edward I of England.
- Court of Common Pleas established as a permanent body, and receives its first chief justice.
- The Worshipful Company of Cordwainers receives the right to regulate the leather trade in London.
- 25 April - Edward I's first parliament meets.
- May - Parliament imposes the first regular customs duty on wool and leather.
- 11 September - Earthquake in southern England damages churches at Glastonbury.
- Parliament passes the first Statute of Westminster, defining legal privileges.
- Llywelyn ap Gruffudd refuses to pay homage to Edward I.
- New statute forbids Jews from charging interest on loans.
- January - Pope Nicholas III quashes the election of Robert Burnell to the Archbishopric of Canterbury.
- 25 January - John Peckham enthroned as Archbishop of Canterbury.
- The first of the Statutes of Mortmain prevents land from passing into possession of the church.
- December - New coinage issued, including the first groats and round farthings and a new silver halfpenny.
- Itinerant royal judges are ordered to inquire into confederacies against justice, thus effectively making conspiracy a crime.
- The Royal Mint moves to the Tower of London by this year.
- Further round of Hundred Rolls commissioned.
- Palmer, Alan; Palmer, Veronica (1992). The Chronology of British History. London: Century Ltd. pp. 88–90. ISBN 0-7126-5616-2.
- Williams, Hywel (2005). Cassell's Chronology of World History. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson. pp. 146–148. ISBN 0-304-35730-8.
- "Library & Archives - History". Oxford: Merton College. Retrieved 2012-05-08.
- Perrin, W. G. (1922). British Flags. Cambridge University Press. p. 37.
- "Medieval English Hammered Farthings - Edward I - intro". Retrieved 2010-09-12.
- Gillingham, John; Griffiths, Ralph A. (2000). Medieval Britain: a very short introduction. Oxford University Press. p. 61. ISBN 978-0-19-285402-5.
- "The Royal Mint at the Tower of London". Archived from the original on 20 December 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-03.