12th Parliament of Singapore
|12th Parliament of Singapore|
|10 October 2011 – present|
Seating arrangements of the House
|Speaker of Parliament|
|Leader of the
|October 10, 2011-present|
|Lee Hsien Loong
10 October 2011-present
The 12th Parliament is controlled by a People's Action Party majority, led by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and members of the cabinet, which assumed power on May 7, 2011. The Opposition is led by the Secretary General of the Worker's Party of Singapore, Mr Low Thia Kiang. The Speaker of the Parliament of Singapore is Halimah Yacob, of the People's Action Party. She was elected as the 8th Speaker of the House for the 12th Parliament on January 14, 2013.
Result of the Singapore General Election, 2011
|Parties and alliances||Leader||Contested seats||Seats won||Popular vote||% of valid votes||+/-||% of valid votes in contested wards||+/-|
|People's Action Party||Lee Hsien Loong||87||81†||1,212,154||60.14||6.46||60.14||6.46|
|Workers' Party||Low Thia Khiang||23||6||258,510||12.83||3.51||46.58||8.15|
|National Solidarity Party||Goh Meng Seng||24||0||242,682||12.04||0.95*||39.25||6.37*|
|Singapore Democratic Party||Chee Soon Juan||11||0||97,369||4.83||0.76||36.76||13.53|
|Reform Party||Kenneth Jeyaretnam||11||0||86,294||4.28||New party||31.78||New party|
|Singapore People's Party||Chiam See Tong||7||0||62,639||3.11||9.88*||41.42||8.90*|
|Singapore Democratic Alliance||Desmond Lim||7||0||55,988||2.78||10.21||30.06||2.46|
|Did not vote (including walk-overs)||292,913||12.46|
|Total voting electorate||2,350,873||100.0|
|† Includes uncontested victories.
* Formerly a constituent party of Singapore Democratic Alliance. Swings reflected are from the SDA's 2006 vote share.
The Worker's Party and the Singapore People Party, being the best performing opposition parties was awarded 2 and 1 Non-Constituency Member of Parliament Seat respectively in accordance with the Constitution. The NCMP Seat is currently held by Gerald Giam Yean Song and Yee Jenn Jong of the Worker's Party and Lina Chiam of Singapore People's Party.
- Michael Palmer (the People's Action Party MP for Punggol East SMC) was elected Speaker of the Parliament on October 10, 2011. He resigned on December 14, 2012, due to extramarital affair. 
- Charles Chong of the People's Action Party, MP of Joo Chiat SMC was designated as Acting Speaker of the Parliament on December 14, 2012, by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.He was succeeded by Halimah Yacob on January 14, 2013.
- Halimah Yacob of the People's Action Party, MP of Jurong GRC was elected Speaker of Parliament on January 14, 2013.
- Charles Chong and Seah Kian Peng of the People's Action Party are elected Deputy Speaker of the parliament on 17 October 2011.
- Prime Minister of Singapore: Lee Hsien Loong (People's Action Party)
- Leader of the Opposition: Low Thia Kiang (Worker's Party)