From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1343.
|Centuries:||13th century – 14th century – 15th century|
|Decades:||1310s 1320s 1330s – 1340s – 1350s 1360s 1370s|
|Years:||1340 1341 1342 – 1343 – 1344 1345 1346|
|1343 by topic|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1343 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2096|
|Bahá'í calendar||−501 – −500|
|English Regnal year||16 Edw. 3 – 17 Edw. 3|
|Chinese calendar||壬午年 (Water Horse)
4039 or 3979
— to —
癸未年 (Water Goat)
4040 or 3980
|- Vikram Samvat||1399–1400|
|- Shaka Samvat||1265–1266|
|- Kali Yuga||4444–4445|
|Japanese calendar||Kōei (era) 2
|Minguo calendar||569 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1886|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1343.|
- January 27 – Pope Clement VI issues his Bull Unigenitus, defining the doctrine of "The Treasury of Merits" or "The Treasury of the Church" as the basis for the issuance of indulgences by the Catholic Church.
- April 23 – Beginning of the St. George's Night Uprising in Estonia.
- May 4 – The St. George's Night Uprising: The "four Estonian kings" are murdered at the negotiations with the Livonian Order.
- August 15 – Magnus IV of Sweden abdicates from the throne of Norway in favor of his son Haakon VI of Norway. However Haakon is still a minor, allowing Magnus to remain de facto ruler.
- August 31 – A naval league is formed between the Pope, the Republic of Venice, the Knights Hospitaller and the Kingdom of Cyprus, to prepare the Smyrniote crusades.
- November 25 – A tsunami, caused by an earthquake, devastates the Maritime Republic of Amalfi, among other places.
- July 23 – Thomas Percy, 1st Earl of Worcester, English rebel (d. 1403)
- date unknown
- probable – Geoffrey Chaucer, English poet (approximate date) (d. 1400)
- January 20 – Robert of Naples (b. 1277)
- May 29 – Francesco I Manfredi, lord of Faenza
- June 22 – Aimone, Count of Savoy (b. 1291)
- June 23 – Giacomo Gaetani Stefaneschi, Italian cardinal (b. c. 1270)
- September 16 – Philip III of Navarre (b. 1306)
- December 15 – Hassan Kuchak, Chobanid prince (b. c. 1319)
- date unknown