13th Strategic Missile Division
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2012)|
|13th Strategic Missile Division|
13th Strategic Missile Division emblem
|Active||1940–1941; 1942–1945; 1959–1966|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Engagements||World War II|
The 13th Strategic Missile Division is an inactive unit of the United States Air Force. Its last assignment was with the Fifteenth Air Force, being stationed at Francis E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyoming. It was inactivated on 2 July 1966
Activated in the United States in October 1940, the 13th Composite Wing moved to Puerto Rico where it remained until inactivated in October 1941.
Following second activation, the 13th Bombardment Wing moved in May 1943 to England for duty with the Eighth Air Force. Groups assigned in September 1943 began strategic bombing of enemy aircraft, petroleum, and ball bearing industries as well as German airfields. Later, organizational units took part in the famous raid against the ball bearing industry at Schweinfurt in October 1943 and followed with missions against shipyards and shipbuilding installations at Wilhelmshaven and Bremen.
During the 1960s, the SAC 13th Strategic Missile Division organized, manned, trained, and equipped several strategic missile wings in Wyoming.
- Established as 13th Composite Wing on 2 October 1940
- Activated on 10 October 1940
- Inactivated on 25 October 1941
- Redesignated 13th Bombardment Wing on 23 August 1942
- Activated on 1 October 1942
- Redesignated 13th Bombardment Wing (Heavy) on 1 February 1943
- Redesignated 13th Combat Bombardment Wing (Heavy) on 30 August 1943
- Redesignated 13th Combat Bombardment Wing, Heavy on 24 August 1944
- Redesignated 13th Bombardment Wing, Heavy on 18 June 1945
- Redesignated 13th Bombardment Wing, Very Heavy on 17 August 1945
- Inactivated on 17 October 1945
- Redesignated 13th Air Division on 20 May 1959
- Activated on 1 July 1959
- Redesignated 13th Strategic Missile Division on 1 January 1963
- Discontinued, and inactivated, on 2 July 1966
Aircraft and missiles
- Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
- Ravenstein, Charles A. (1984). Air Force Combat Wings Lineage and Honors Histories 1947–1977. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-12-9.